The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down UCLA coach at the end of the game

Did you see the UCLA coach at the end of the game 2nt? I had it on tape and have rewinded it several times to make sure my descriptions are accurate. Two times he was definitely distracting the inbound passer. The first time, with 36.5 seconds left and UCLA up by 2 Indiana is inbounding the ball on the endline and about 3 feet from the sideline. The coach has a foot one foot from the endline as he is waving both hands and gyrating his body to let his player know what to do. As the ball is about to be inbounded, he starts waving his downfloor hand in a way that appears he was even breaking the plane of the sideline. His defender on the ball deflected the ball OOB’s about 8 feet up the sideline. So what does he do, move up the sideline, again being in the way of the inbound pass. He could have stayed where he was the first time and been behind the play, but he went and stood on the downfloor side of the inbounder and had his foot less than one foot from the passer and had a hand up which was less than 3 feet from the passer. To make it worse, you can see on the replay that he was looking at and yelling at the player inbounding the ball. The pass was intercepted by UCLA.

I thought it was total BS and I think the official should have had him either sit down or be MUCH further away. I don’t know if he didn’t see it or just didn’t do anything about it but I hope it was the former and not the latter. I sure looks like the coach knows exactly what he is doing which really ticks me off. Very poor sportsmanship! If you have a tape of the game, watch it and you will see that I am not exaggerating in anything I said. I would hope it gets addressed by someone.

In case you are wondering, I am in NO WAY and Indiana fan, in fact I was routing against them.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Did you see the UCLA coach at the end of the game 2nt? I had it on tape and have rewinded it several times to make sure my descriptions are accurate. Two times he was definitely distracting the inbound passer. The first time, with 36.5 seconds left and UCLA up by 2 Indiana is inbounding the ball on the endline and about 3 feet from the sideline. The coach has a foot one foot from the endline as he is waving both hands and gyrating his body to let his player know what to do. As the ball is about to be inbounded, he starts waving his downfloor hand in a way that appears he was even breaking the plane of the sideline. His defender on the ball deflected the ball OOB’s about 8 feet up the sideline. So what does he do, move up the sideline, again being in the way of the inbound pass. He could have stayed where he was the first time and been behind the play, but he went and stood on the downfloor side of the inbounder and had his foot less than one foot from the passer and had a hand up which was less than 3 feet from the passer. To make it worse, you can see on the replay that he was looking at and yelling at the player inbounding the ball. The pass was intercepted by UCLA.

I thought it was total BS and I think the official should have had him either sit down or be MUCH further away. I don’t know if he didn’t see it or just didn’t do anything about it but I hope it was the former and not the latter. I sure looks like the coach knows exactly what he is doing which really ticks me off. Very poor sportsmanship! If you have a tape of the game, watch it and you will see that I am not exaggerating in anything I said. I would hope it gets addressed by someone.

In case you are wondering, I am in NO WAY and Indiana fan, in fact I was routing against them.
I believe the official did. I saw him delay twice to tell coach Howland something. But if I'm wrong, I must those are good coaching antics, that you rarely see a coach do. From an officiating standpoint, GREAT PICKUP MJT!
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Speaking of bad officiating at the end of a game. I caught the last of the DePaul/Georgia Tech women's game. Tech down by three with about .30 seconds and hits a shot. Both feet clearly on the line and over. They rule a three pointer. DePaul inbounds ball and the girl is going down at about mid court and it literally drove out of bounds by a Tech player. Ball out of bounds to Tech. Tech calls TO and is about to break their huddle when they are informed they are down one. They cannot believe it. Tech inbounds ball and misses shot. Tech player climbs the back of DePaul player and keeps ball in play and Tech hits game winner with about 2.1 seconds on the clock.

My question is how much of the outcome would have been decided possibly if DePaul had known they had been up a point with only 20 seconds on the clock? I don't think they would have pushed the ball up the court and Tech would have been forced to foul. Also, they let game management go at the end without calling the fouls.

I actually think the Tech player was trying to foul because she knew it was a two pointer. I believe they let Tech get by with two very obvious fouls in my estimation.
I just read an article about this game...

(7) Georgia Tech 55, (10) DePaul 54

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
March 18, 2007

AP - Mar 17, 11:06 pm EDT
More Photos

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- While stumbling last season to a 2-12 record in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets were preparing for games like these.
Jacqua Williams sent Georgia Tech to the school's first women's NCAA tournament victory, swishing a running one-handed shot in the lane with 2 1/2 seconds left to lift the seventh-seeded Yellow Jackets past 10th-seeded DePaul 55-54 on Saturday in a Dallas Regional first-round game.
"Our motto was finishing all year, and I wanted to play another game," said Williams, who had 10 points and six steals. Her winner gave Georgia Tech (21-11) its first lead since 5:57 remained before halftime.
Chioma Nnamaka's long jumper with 26 seconds remaining pulled the Yellow Jackets within one, and then Blue Demons senior Jenna Rubino was pressured near the sideline and stepped out of bounds to give Georgia Tech the final possession.
Nnamaka's shot was mistakenly called a 3-pointer by the public address announcer and scoreboard operator, which frustrated DePaul coach Doug Bruno. His team reacted as if the game was tied, and Bruno argued afterward that Rubino would not have been attacking the press so aggressively if she knew the Blue Demons (19-13) were still leading.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We can sit here and point our fingers at someone, maybe the announcer, or we can look in the mirror and ask ourselves, `How many times did we have a chance to make a layup or how many chances in the second half did we have to make a key defensive stop?"' said Bruno, who blamed himself for not watching the official's two-point signal following Nnamaka's shot.
After the turnover, Jill Ingram missed a jumper for the Yellow Jackets, but after the rebound Williams was there to push Georgia Tech into the second round to play Purdue on Monday night.
Coach MaChelle Joseph came screaming and running onto the court to hug her players, celebrating the turnaround from a trying previous year in the tough ACC while using mostly freshmen and sophomores. On the other end, Rubino pulled her blue jersey over her face and bent over with deep disappointment.
"We needed to be stronger with the ball," said Rubino, who completed her career with 1,314 points. "At the end, we weren't strong with the ball -- and they took advantage of it."
Allie Quigley scored 17 points and Rubino had 12 points for DePaul, which held Georgia Tech leading scorer Stephanie Higgs to two points on 0-for-8 shooting and harassed the Yellow Jackets into a 4-for-22 performance from 3-point range.
The Blue Demons, one of eight schools from the Big East to make the tournament, finished 10th in the 16-team conference after an injury-influenced regular season that forced Bruno to use 10 different starting lineups. Five players missed a total of 105 games, but DePaul found full strength in early February and built enough momentum to earn a fifth straight appearance in the NCAA tournament. Nnamaka and Janie Mitchell each had 14 points for Georgia Tech, which went 7 1/2 minutes without a field goal until Nnamaka's fastbreak layup cut the lead to 46-43. The Blue Demons, meanwhile, were mired in a scoreless slump that lasted roughly the same amount of time and allowed the Yellow Jackets to crawl within one point at 49-48 with 4:25 left on Nnamaka's 3-pointer. "I just felt like if we continued with our defense and our rebounding, that opportunities were going to present themselves," Joseph said.

Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MJT

I thought it was total BS and I think the official should have had him either sit down or be MUCH further away. I sure looks like the coach knows exactly what he is doing which really ticks me off. Very poor sportsmanship! If you have a tape of the game, watch it and you will see that I am not exaggerating in anything I said. I would hope it gets addressed by someone.
[/QUOTE]

When the coaches run the sport, they can do what they want. We're left to clean up the mess (or ignore it too) in the HS and youth levels.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I noticed it too, MJT, and commented to my husband about it. I wonder what the commish will say to the official on seeing the tape, if anything.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I noticed it too, MJT, and commented to my husband about it. I wonder what the commish will say to the official on seeing the tape, if anything.
I know this isn't fair but if it decided the game, and the opposing team complaints about it. Someone in trouble.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 08:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The ignore feature works great. Just thought you all would like to know. Cannot read the previous post.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
The ignore feature works great. Just thought you all would like to know. Cannot read the previous post.
It doesn't work at all when others quote an "ignoree". It is almost as if they conspire with him to keep his posts visible.

Irritating.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:20am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
What post???
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was present at the Georgia Tech - Depaul womens game. I was confused when the announcer called a 3 pointer when none of the refs raised there hands. I thought that was odd, then they tried to sort it out, but only after Depaul had lost the ball out of bounds trying to push the basketball to score.

When DePaul inbounded the ball the scoreboard said the score was tied.

I'm not sure what the ref's could have done. They had to hear the announcer, but they never signaled a 3. Should they have stopped the game at that point?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglaw
I was present at the Georgia Tech - Depaul womens game. I was confused when the announcer called a 3 pointer when none of the refs raised there hands. I thought that was odd, then they tried to sort it out, but only after Depaul had lost the ball out of bounds trying to push the basketball to score.

When DePaul inbounded the ball the scoreboard said the score was tied.

I'm not sure what the ref's could have done. They had to hear the announcer, but they never signaled a 3. Should they have stopped the game at that point?
Only to shoot the announcers, and don't forget the TV and Radio goober-heads.