The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Looks like a foul to me. If the UCLA player was under control then you would not put anyone in a situation to be called for a foul. If that is a foul in the first minute of the game, it is a foul in the last minute of the game.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
from the video provided, it does appear the UCLA player displaced the KU player who was reaching for the ball
I'm not arguing whether or not it's a foul, just the timing and severity of it.

If Sirmons holds his whistle, KU's bench and Bill Self probably briefly "ask" for a call and then move on to overtime.

Last edited by Seddy; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 11:48am.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post

If Sirmons holds his whistle, KU's bench and Bill Self probably briefly "ask" for a call and then move onto to overtime.
Or you'd hear him complain about "a foul being a foul," and that officials can't "swallow their whistles."

"Let the players decide the game" vs. "swallow the whistle"...either way you're going hear a mouthful from the coach on the short end of the stick, so you might as well just call what you see and not worry about what's on the clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Does that mean you agree that had the play happened with 7 minutes to go, you'd agree it was a foul?

Sure, we miss calls (including calling "fouls" that aren't). But, anytime someone uses the "at that point in the game" argument, I tend to tune out.

If you want to discuss whether the contact rises to the level of a foul, then that's different (and, again, I didn't see the play, not am I likely to be able to).
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

If Sirmons holds his whistle, KU's bench and Bill Self probably briefly "ask" for a call and then move on to overtime.
The only POE in Men's basketball is "Call the game by the rules no matter the score or the situation." That is what they have asked the officials to do this year. So if this official does not call a foul that he thinks is a foul, then he will not be seen in the best light. And yes a play like this can and will affect his standing in the NCAA Tournament if he is eligible. So who cares what a coach thinks if in your judgment a foul should have been called. It either is a foul or it is not a foul. Who cares what time of the game it takes place?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:52am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
UCLA hits a 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds to go. KU inbounds quickly, gets it across half-court, one of the Morris twins attempts to go up for a jumper but is cleanly stripped, which leads to a loose ball. KU's Mario Little and UCLA's Malcolm Lee both pursue. Both players have a hand on the ball with Lee's momentum creating contact with Morris.
Sounds like a foul on Lee...

Just because they both have a hand on the loose ball does not mean that one of them gets to knock the other one down.

If the contact had been created by the KU player, and the officials had NOT called it, Howland would be whining about the no-call, and Seddy would be posting on here about how bad the officials were for swallowing their whistles when it mattered.

Sigh...fanboy season has officially arrived.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Sounds like a foul on Lee...

Just because they both have a hand on the loose ball does not mean that one of them gets to knock the other one down.

If the contact had been created by the KU player, and the officials had NOT called it, Howland would be whining about the no-call, and Seddy would be posting on here about how bad the officials were for swallowing their whistles when it mattered.

Sigh...fanboy season has officially arrived.
I'm interested to know what this "fanboy" term is all about?

And BTW, neither the KU or UCLA player was knocked down on the play.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Lets see....

Two 2009/2010 Final Four guys, a 2008/2009 National Championship official and about 3000 combined D1 games on that crew.

They kinda know what they are doing.

Having said that, for me, I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have passed but I am not shocked there was a whistle either.

Bottom line - Anyone can ref on youtube with a pause button
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does that mean you agree that had the play happened with 7 minutes to go, you'd agree it was a foul?

Sure, we miss calls (including calling "fouls" that aren't). But, anytime someone uses the "at that point in the game" argument, I tend to tune out.

If you want to discuss whether the contact rises to the level of a foul, then that's different (and, again, I didn't see the play, not am I likely to be able to).
I think it was a 50/50 ball accompanied with a 50/50 call, and when you add to the fact that there is .7 seconds left in a tied game, then yes, I think the timing of the game is relevant.

Can you imagine this exact play deciding a National Championship?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a term that describes people who set an account up to talk about a specific play, typically involving a judgement call, many times slanted towards a team vs. the rule, only to never to be heard from again.

Are you that guy? Time will tell.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Watched it 5-6 times, first impression, no foul. After 3-4 time it's obvious defender moves hip into KU player. Would I have made that call? probably not, that's why I'm doing HS varsity games and this guy is on the big stage, he has the guts to make the right call. It's a foul at the 7 minute mark of the game and at .07 seconds of the game. Trust me Seddy, he's not looking to grab a call.

How much did you drop on the game? C-note? A dime? Chase a couple of NBA games to get even over the weekend.

By the way, We all have the same crummy view of the play. Three guesses who was right where he should be and had the best view.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 12:09pm.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Lets see....

Two 2009/2010 Final Four guys, a 2008/2009 National Championship official and about 3000 combined D1 games on that crew.

They kinda know what they are doing.

Having said that, for me, I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have passed but I am not shocked there was a whistle either.

Bottom line - Anyone can ref on youtube with a pause button

You're right, all 3 are top-notch officials and I thoroughly enjoy watching them work. But are they above getting their calls analyzed? Should I not use their real-life instances to improve my officiating?

In my opinion, if I was in Sirmons' shoes, I would hope that I would have held my whistle.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
From Wikipedia: Fan Boy

Fanboy/fangirl

Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist. An example is the market for CPUs for PCs, where AMD and Intel together hold a market share of 99.6% (as of Q1 2009). In this market, users of home computers realistically only have a choice between two brands, and hence, a fight over which is better easily ensues. In this field, an "Intel fanboy" prefers CPUs made by Intel, and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty. The same brand war ensues when comparing video card brands Nvidia and ATI, which together dominate the video card market.

The term originated in comic book circles, to describe someone who was socially insecure and used comics as a shield from interaction, hence the disparaging connotations. Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, such as continuity in fictional universes, and they take these details extremely seriously. The term has also been applied to criticize perceived fan elitism. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material. Nevertheless, self-labeling usages of the term have been noted; in the songs of the fannish parody musician Luke Ski, many characters proudly consider themselves fanboys.

The term is usually used by and applied to people in their teens or 20s; an age group which is typically found pursuing geeky hobbies obsessively. Within this group, common objects of deference for fanboys are TV shows, movies, anime, cars, video game consoles, video games, music, operating systems, trains, home computers (in earlier decades), MMORPGs, ISPs, software and computer hardware companies.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
It's a term that describes people who set an account up to talk about a specific play, typically involving a judgement call, many times slanted towards a team vs. the rule, only to never to be heard from again.

Are you that guy? Time will tell.

Trust me, I'm not that guy. I'm far from a UCLA fan trolling on here looking for sympathy. Just a fan of college basketball and watching top-notch college officials do their jobs. I'm a 7th year HS official who uses this forum from time to time as a resource. Are you going to see me ever have 1,000 posts? Probably not! But I enjoy the sport. I enjoy the art of officiating. And I enjoy the intricacies of how the two intertwine.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

For those that can't view it from ESPN.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.