The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UCLA vs. KU game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59982-ucla-vs-ku-game.html)

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29am

UCLA vs. KU game

Anybody see the end of the UCLA/KU game last night? "Gutsy" call by the official with .7 seconds on the clock to send KU to the line in a tied ballgame.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddy (Post 704967)
Anybody see the end of the UCLA/KU game last night? Gutsy call by the official with .7 seconds on the clock to send KU to the line in a tied ballgame.

Didn't see it.

We make "gutsy" calls all the time.

The time left in the game shouldn't have any bearing on whether to call it. If it was a foul with 70 seconds left, then it was a foul with .7 seconds left.

Lah me.

Indianaref Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38am

A foul is a foul is a foul, I don't care what time is on the coo coo clock.

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38am

Tell that to Ben Howland....

Via the LA Times:

UCLA Coach Ben Howland didn't contain his displeasure with the call after watching the replay on a computer in the locker room.

"Really, really a poor way to end the game on a call," Howland said. "Normally, you wouldn't make that kind of call at that point in the game unless it was very obvious, and from what I saw it was very disappointing to have the game end on that note."

Indianaref Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddy (Post 704972)
Tell that to Ben Howland....

Via the LA Times:

UCLA Coach Ben Howland didn't contain his displeasure with the call after watching the replay on a computer in the locker room.

"Really, really a poor way to end the game on a call," Howland said. "Normally, you wouldn't make that kind of call at that point in the game unless it was very obvious, and from what I saw it was very disappointing to have the game end on that note."

Is Ben Howland the director of officiating for the conference and a coach?:eek:

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54am

Nope, just a coach understandably frustrated with a ticky-tack call deciding a game in which his kids fought hard throughout and battled back to tie.

The problem with refs wanting to hide behind the "a foul is a foul is a foul" argument and make the art of officiating black and white is the fact that this call literally decided the game. I guarantee you that similar "fouls" earlier in the game were let go. I'd venture a guess that there's a part of the official (Doug Sirmons) who wishes he hadn't blown his whistle.

DLH17 Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddy (Post 704979)
Nope, just a coach understandably frustrated with a ticky-tack call deciding a game in which his kids fought hard throughout and battled back to tie.

The problem with refs wanting to hide behind the "a foul is a foul is a foul" argument and make the art of officiating black and white is the fact that this call literally decided the game. I guarantee you that similar "fouls" earlier in the game were let go. I'd venture a guess that there's a part of the official (Doug Sirmons) who wishes he hadn't blown his whistle.

Who else was in that officiating crew?

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58am

Scott Thornley & Tom O'Neill

APG Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

The problem with the media and general public is on one instance, they want to "let the players on the floor decide the game." Then when there's an instance where a no call happens at the end of the game, we hear the usually dreck about us "swallowing our whistles" and that "a foul is a foul." A no-win situation.

Do I think the official who made the call regrets the whistle? I doubt it.

Raymond Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:06am

Quote:

How about describing the play for those of us who didn't see it instead of just giving it the lame "ticky-tack" label.

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10am

Judge for yourselves....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Raymond Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddy (Post 704991)

I can't, firewall only allows videos from YouTube and it's not on there. So pretend it's a non-media game and you are describing the play to your supervisor. :)

DLH17 Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:22am

Quote:

from the video provided, it does appear the UCLA player displaced the KU player who was reaching for the ball

mbyron Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24am

Quote:

You say "ticky tack," I say "tackle." If it had been a UCLA player in the same situation, the coach would have thought it was a great call. :shrug:

Fanboys are so boring.

Seddy Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24am

UCLA hits a 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds to go. KU inbounds quickly, gets it across half-court, one of the Morris twins attempts to go up for a jumper but is cleanly stripped, which leads to a loose ball. KU's Mario Little and UCLA's Malcolm Lee both pursue. Both players have a hand on the ball with Lee's momentum creating contact with Morris.