The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
You're right, all 3 are top-notch officials and I thoroughly enjoy watching them work. But are they above getting their calls analyzed? Should I not use their real-life instances to improve my officiating?
In my opinion, if I was in Sirmons' shoes, I would hope that I would have held my whistle.
Problem being your initial posts in this thread contain no analysis. A sarcastic reference to a "gutsy" call is not analysis. Describing a foul as "ticky-tack" with no further description is not analysis.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

For those that can't view it from ESPN.
Sue me for thinking that this play is a nice teaching moment and is worthy of discussion....
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

edit
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

And BTW, neither the KU or UCLA player was knocked down on the play.
You must be talking about a different play than the rest of us then, as the KU player clearly gets knocked down and ends up sliding on the court.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You must be talking about a different play than the rest of us then, as the KU player clearly gets knocked down and ends up sliding on the court.
I was about to say that. No way you should let a defender (no matter how long he'd been a defender) hip check a shooter to the floor (even an off-balance shooter) on this play.
The idea that you shouldn't call this because a no-call sends it into overtime is just stupid.
Thinking it's probably a foul but wanting to no-call it because you'll get less grief is just cowardly.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sue me for thinking that this play is a nice teaching moment and is worthy of discussion....
Worthy of discussion? Absolutely. Worthy of commending the official for making the call that would get him the most grief. I'd much rather work with that guy than some numb nutz who's scared to make a tough call at the end of the game.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Trust me, I'm not that guy. I'm far from a UCLA fan trolling on here looking for sympathy. Just a fan of college basketball and watching top-notch college officials do their jobs. I'm a 7th year HS official who uses this forum from time to time as a resource. Are you going to see me ever have 1,000 posts? Probably not! But I enjoy the sport. I enjoy the art of officiating. And I enjoy the intricacies of how the two intertwine.
It's not the number of your posts that matters; it's the quality.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm not arguing whether or not it's a foul, just the timing and severity of it.
And if the foul hadda gone for UCLA, you would have told everybody what a great call it was.

In the words of that noted humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mother Teresa.."Piss off,fanboy."
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was about to say that. No way you should let a defender (no matter how long he'd been a defender) hip check a shooter to the floor (even an off-balance shooter) on this play.
The idea that you shouldn't call this because a no-call sends it into overtime is just stupid.
Thinking it's probably a foul but wanting to no-call it because you'll get less grief is just cowardly.

The KU player goes to the floor not because of a foul, but because he's trying to launch a desperation shot....
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The KU player goes to the floor not because of a foul, but because he's trying to launch a desperation shot....
That's not how the official on the floor saw it; nor is it how I saw it. Apparently, I'm not the only one here who saw it my way. Can you say the same thing?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And if the foul hadda gone for UCLA, you would have told everybody what a great call it was.

In the words of that noted humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mother Teresa.."Piss off,fanboy."

Take the team names out of the equation. I sit in Quincy, IL. You think I'm a UCLA fan?!?!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You didn't bring this to the forum as a teaching tool, you b!tched about a call without discussing what actually happened.

Quote:
UCLA hits a 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds to go. KU inbounds quickly, gets it across half-court, one of the Morris twins attempts to go up for a jumper but is cleanly stripped, which leads to a loose ball. KU's Mario Little and UCLA's Malcolm Lee both pursue. Both players have a hand on the ball with Lee's momentum creating contact with Morris.
The contact occurs as Little is shooting the ball, that is not a "loose ball" situation.

Quote:
Take the team names out of the equation. I sit in Quincy, IL. You think I'm a UCLA fan?!?!
I live in Virginia and I'm a UCLA fan so that argument isn't very convincing either.

Quote:
Trust me, I'm not that guy. I'm far from a UCLA fan trolling on here looking for sympathy. Just a fan of college basketball and watching top-notch college officials do their jobs. I'm a 7th year HS official who uses this forum from time to time as a resource. Are you going to see me ever have 1,000 posts? Probably not! But I enjoy the sport. I enjoy the art of officiating. And I enjoy the intricacies of how the two intertwine.
Just as recently as 11-12 months ago you were asking basic questions about backcourt and travelling calls so I have to doubt the veracity of this statement.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was there twice this past week.

And here is part of the proof. Quincy High School

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 01:02pm.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was there twice this past week.

Peace
Then he should be using you as a teaching tool.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seddy from Missouri + not liking a "ticky tacky call" at that point in the game + game won by Missouri's arch and hated rival = fanboy.

(full disclosure - I grew up in Kansas and am a KU fan.)[