The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:16pm
M.A.S.H.

10-second violation

I'm pretty sure I just saw a double whistle on a 10-second violation.

I will admit that I am a little under the weather and not feeling well.

Arizona St/Baylor
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:25pm
I miss being on the floor

Your eyes didn't fool you. Both the C and T whistled. I was coming to post on this same subject, but with a different question.

Obviously the rule set is NCAA-M.

Team A inbounds the ball just after a made basket. One second ticks off the shot clock before Team A is granted a time out. When they come back from time out, 34 seconds is still showing on the shot clock.

When the shot clock gets down to 25 (this is according to the TV graphics), the officials whistle a 10 second violation.

Is it the rule in NCAAM that the 10 second count resumes from where it left off coming out of a timeout? Or was this a TV graphics mix up?

The officials got together for a second before they gave it to Team B to inbound, but maybe that was the T telling the C to back off.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Your eyes didn't fool you. Both the C and T whistled. I was coming to post on this same subject, but with a different question.

Obviously the rule set is NCAA-M.

Team A inbounds the ball just after a made basket. One second ticks off the shot clock before Team A is granted a time out. When they come back from time out, 34 seconds is still showing on the shot clock.

When the shot clock gets down to 25 (this is according to the TV graphics), the officials whistle a 10 second violation.

Is it the rule in NCAAM that the 10 second count resumes from where it left off coming out of a timeout? Or was this a TV graphics mix up?

The officials got together for a second before they gave it to Team B to inbound, but maybe that was the T telling the C to back off.
In both college and high school, the count does not resume after a dead ball.

This is different than the NBA rule where a team has 8 seconds flat to advance the ball. There are a few situations where the count is reset but assuming those don't happen, 8 is all you get.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 08:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
In both college and high school, the count does not resume after a dead ball.

This is different than the NBA rule where a team has 8 seconds flat to advance the ball. There are a few situations where the count is reset but assuming those don't happen, 8 is all you get.
The TV people didn't show the officials for the entire count, so I wasn't able to count along with them. Maybe it was a situation where the shot clock ticked to 34, but it was really like 34.9 or something.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
The TV people didn't show the officials for the entire count, so I wasn't able to count along with them. Maybe it was a situation where the shot clock ticked to 34, but it was really like 34.9 or something.
If what you said was true (that 34 was on the clock after the timeout, and subsequently a 10 second violation was called at 25), then either both officials had a brain fart (though there's no reason for the C to call a violation here unless it's absolutely obvious), or both officials had a fast count. I'm banking on the first one.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
The NB-what?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:58pm

Quote:
If what you said was true (that 34 was on the clock after the timeout, and subsequently a 10 second violation was called at 25), then either both officials had a brain fart (though there's no reason for the C to call a violation here unless it's absolutely obvious), or both officials had a fast count. I'm banking on the first one.
Like I said, I'm going off the TV graphics, so it's possible that they made the mistake.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

D1 officials tend to watch the shot clock to determine the backcourt counts...that is why there was (at least as you described) a double whistle with T and C...

(just to cover myself and avoid an argument based on semantics...note I said "D1 officials tend to"...I did not say ALL or MOST)...I just can't deal w/ a silly discussion forum debate on Friday...
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
D1 officials tend to watch the shot clock to determine the backcourt counts...that is why there was (at least as you described) a double whistle with T and C...
I think you are right, I read somewhere the C will have an eye on the shot clock and can call this...

Also, in this game, saw a rare violation in first half when the thrower-in handed the ball to his teammate. Covering official was on it.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, the C should only be in assistance if the T requests it. The C shouldn't be calling a 10-sec violation.

For example: if an inbound pass by A1 is deflected by B1 and a scramble for the ball lasts about 3 seconds, the shot and game will start simultaneously. A2 picks up the ball with 32 seconds on the shot-clock; the T starts his 10-second count. With 25 seconds showing on the shot-clock and the ball still in the BC, the C (assuming he's now a hero with a whistle) calls a 10-sec violation when the T only has 7 secs on his 10-sec count. Big blunder by the C.

A ten second count starts when an in-bound player and his team is in control of the ball.