The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

team A has the ball to bring full length of court. a count of 6 is reached when team B bats ball from dribble. ball ping pongs around, still in A's backcourt without either team gaing posession until we have a 10 count. I call a 10 second violation on team A. their coach questions the call, i explain that there was no change of posession even though the ball was in no player control, but was still considered in team A's posession. right call? can you tell me where to find it in the nfhs books?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfox
team A has the ball to bring full length of court. a count of 6 is reached when team B bats ball from dribble. ball ping pongs around, still in A's backcourt without either team gaing posession until we have a 10 count. I call a 10 second violation on team A. their coach questions the call, i explain that there was no change of posession even though the ball was in no player control, but was still considered in team A's posession. right call? can you tell me where to find it in the nfhs books?
johnfox,

R9-8
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 03:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Actually, the rule reference above only partly addresses your question. It just states the rule. I guess what you're asking is for some justification to continue the count in this case. First of all, you made the correct call. Team A never lost team control. To lose team control, either there had to be a dead ball, a try or team B had to gain team control. Absent any of those, team A is still in team control and the count continues. The only way for team B to gain team control would be if one of their players gained player control. That means (by definition) a player on team B would have to be holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. That is the only way team B could get team control away from team A and have the count stop.

Remember, if there is a dead ball (say, team B knocks the ball OOB, or there is a timeout), when team A inbounds again, if they inbound into the backcourt, they get a brand new 10 seconds.