The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Question

High School Game A2 has the ball loses control and A5dive on the floor the ball is by his feet A5 and B2 ty it up but the official rules a voilation on A5 because he says A5 was trying to bring the ball up to his body with his feet. Is this a volation both A5 and B2 had hands on the ball., so what diffrence does it make if he is moving his legs??

Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Could you clarify this situation a bit?

Who, exactly, is going after the ball?

Also, if A5 is trying to move the ball with his feet, how can he be holding the ball with his hands?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Both A5 and B2 both have the ball and is laying on B5 feet, I guess dive is the wrong word here because it inpilies he is on his stomach but he is on his butt sitting grabbing the ball at his feet while B2 grabs in for the tie up. and the officiasl ruled his was moving the ball with his feet, and called it a voplation..
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

He must have felt that A5 was intentionally striking the ball with his feet, to prevent B2 from gaining control of it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
Both A5 and B2 both have the ball and is laying on B5 feet, I guess dive is the wrong word here because it inpilies he is on his stomach but he is on his butt sitting grabbing the ball at his feet while B2 grabs in for the tie up. and the officiasl ruled his was moving the ball with his feet, and called it a voplation..
If A5 had stopped sliding (if he ever was) and was in sole control, and then bent or moved his legs, or lifted a cheek while he had sole control, then that is a traveling violation on A5.

If both players were in control before A5 has an opportunity to travel, then it should have been a held ball (unless A5 kicked the ball while in sole control).
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Your description of the play isn't very clear, but it sounds like maybe the referee called a kick?

Z
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Okay then it was proably a traveling voilation then, I talked to the coach and all he said the official said was it was a voilation
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see how it could be a traveling violation. kick if anything. I would probably no call it.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
High School Game A2 has the ball loses control and A5dive on the floor the ball is by his feet A5 and B2 ty it up but the official rules a voilation on A5 because he says A5 was trying to bring the ball up to his body with his feet. Is this a volation both A5 and B2 had hands on the ball., so what diffrence does it make if he is moving his legs??

Smoke,
For something that ugly, I can easily live with a held ball.
"Order on the court!!!"

mick