The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

FIBA Question

With FIBA's new backcourt and frontcourt status, I have a question.

The new rule says that FC status is only achieved when both feet and the ball are in the FC. What about the status of the official?

A5 (in the BC) passes to A4 who is stradling the division line (no FC status yet). A4 passes the ball which deflects off the official who is straddling the division line and the ball is picked by A3 in the BC.

Over and back? Did the official have BC or FC status? Until this year, this would have been over and back for sure. I'm not certain now.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

The new rule says that FC status is only achieved when both feet and the ball are in the FC. What about the status of the official?

A5 (in the BC) passes to A4 who is stradling the division line (no FC status yet). A4 passes the ball which deflects off the official who is straddling the division line and the ball is picked by A3 in the BC.

Over and back? Did the official have BC or FC status? Until this year, this would have been over and back for sure. I'm not certain now.
ART 11.2 The location of an official is determined in the same manner as that of a player. When the ball touches an official, it is the same as touching the floor at the official's location.

and

ART 30.1.1 The ball goes into a team's backcourt when:
  • It touches the backcourt.
  • It touches or is legally touched by an offensive player who has part of his body in contact with the backcourt.
  • It touches an official who has part of his body in contact with the backcourt.

The ball never had legal FC status so therefore No BC violation, 8 second count is still on.

That's my take on it...
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

Quote:
28.1.2 The team has caused the ball to go into its frontcourt whenever:
• The ball, not in control of any player, touches the frontcourt,
• The ball touches or is legally touched by an offensive player who has both feet in contact with his frontcourt,
• The ball touches or is legally touched by a defensive player who has part of his body in contact with his backcourt,
• The ball touches an official who has part of his body in contact with the frontcourt of the team in control of the ball.
• During a dribble from the backcourt to the frontcourt, both feet of the dribbler and the ball are in contact with the frontcourt.
Put this together with the rule mentioned by Ref_in_Alberta and the result is that it's a backcourt violation.

Ciao
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Got it. Thanks
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 11:14am
MABO Member

Or just get the heck out of the way and then deal with the ball going oob!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Or just get the heck out of the way and then deal with the ball going oob!
This of course is the best solution!!!