The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

FIBA Question

With the switch to FIBA, they put this interesting question on the test.

The question is:

The official hands the ball to A1 in the backcourt in close proximity to the division line, A1 goes within his 1m to the frontcourt where he inbounds the ball, to A2 who is in the backcourt. The official rules this is a backcourt violation, is the official correct. (Yes or No)

Now when I submitted my test I put no, but there was alot of debate after we had all written it. My thinking was that the sidelines cut off the division line; however the debate was you are deemed where you are on the floor, and that he was in the frontcourt.

Any thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigan
A1 goes within his 1m to the frontcourt
They only get 1 m in Euro rules?

M&M, how does that make you feel?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Now that is funny! Very clever.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

The answer is no. The inbounder is still considered in the backcourt.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Not a violation

The throw-in is a designated spot throw in. The position of the ball is designated to be in the back-court as that is where it was last live and that is where it is allowed to become live again.

Think of the other situation where the ball is in the frontcourt near division line and the player throwing it in steps 1m into backcourt area and then throws it into the backcourt. I would call this a backcourt violation because the team had front-court control and put the ball back in the backcourt.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I now have a built-in excuse - when I make a half-assed call I can just say I used Euro rules.

(Note to Padgett: Please stop reading from this point on.)

Do I understand the rule to be, if the ball had front-court status when it went OOB, it has to be inbounded to the front court as well?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, FIBA rules extends FC and BC definitions to include OOB. So, during a throwin, the ball has status according to where the OOB spot is.

If it's on the line, it is considered BC status. But a throwin from the FC cannot be retrieved by the throwin team in the BC.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:00pm
MABO Member

Quote:

The question is:

The official hands the ball to A1 in the backcourt in close proximity to the division line, A1 goes within his 1m to the frontcourt where he inbounds the ball, to A2 who is in the backcourt. The official rules this is a backcourt violation, is the official correct. (Yes or No)

Now when I submitted my test I put no, but there was alot of debate after we had all written it. My thinking was that the sidelines cut off the division line; however the debate was you are deemed where you are on the floor, and that he was in the frontcourt.

Any thoughts?
As has already been stated, the spot throw-in has been designated as backcourt and therefore the pass may be received in the backcourt without any violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Do I understand the rule to be, if the ball had front-court status when it went OOB, it has to be inbounded to the front court as well?
Yes that is correct. In FIBA once any part ball or feet has entered the front court, then FC status has been achieved (there are a few exceptions that I don't have in front of me right now). The ball can not be returned to the BC. This is also true for throw-ins. The reasoning behind it is the play was designed to be going toward the opponents basket and that would ensure it continues that way.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, FIBA rules extends FC and BC definitions to include OOB. So, during a throwin, the ball has status according to where the OOB spot is.

If it's on the line, it is considered BC status. But a throwin from the FC cannot be retrieved by the throwin team in the BC.
Interesting.

A long time ago I got a chance to help out a company that sponsors trips to different countries as a favor to a co-worker. On one particular trip, I got to help with mundane things like bus schedules, but also got a chance to officiate some games with the local referees using FIBA rules. I read the rules before going there, but thank goodness I let the local officials handle the unusual plays. You would think "basketball is basketball", but there are so many variations.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

What a FEEBLE thread! You guys must be FEEBLE minded and belong here (hey - maybe they have a gym):

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:17pm.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:19pm
MABO Member

I do believe that there will be many more threads regarding FIBA rules to come. Now that almost all of Canada has switched over.

Hey we all have something to share and learn ....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The question is:

Any thoughts?
If it is a spot throw-in from the backcourt, the ball can be passed in the backcourt even if the allowed 1m movement takes the player past the division line. The relevant thing is the original spot of the throw-in.

Ciao
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What a FEEBLE thread! You guys must be FEEBLE minded and belong here (hey - maybe they have a gym):
Hey!

I told you to stop reading.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's like telling a pyro not to play with the matches in the kitchen drawer. It only draws his attention to the temptation.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hey!

I told you to stop reading.
I don't read. I only look at the funny pictures.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 02:24pm.