Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Seniority has very little to do with game assignments. Rankings, based on ratings, dictate game assignments; number, level, and quality. Ratings are based on peer ratings (80%), refresher exam (5%), meeting attendance (5%), and availability (10%).

Peer ratings come from everyone who has seen you officiate. In a typical junior varsity/varsity double header, you usually get three ratings, from your partner, and from the two officials in the game before, or after, yours.
So your peer rating...the opinions of either A: veterans who are worried about you taking their games or B: More "less than 4yrs served rookies like yourself" who don't need another guy moving up to take their games and don't have the knowledge to give a decent fair, unbiased rating towards you.

Availability? What does availability have to do with how well you officiate? So if I work a heavy NCAA, etc schedule I'm not as good as the high school guys who work every night of the week, thus I can't work a Varsity game because my availibility doesn't show me to be a qualified official.

Sorry my friend, but these "ratings" seem a bit flawed.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Availability 10% ???????

I assign another sport having 20 schools (V & JV).

Here is the million dollar question and I would love the feedback.

You have an above average hs. guy who works every tues / thurs / fri. and is

steady, but you have a "college guy", who gives you every friday and and

a couple days here and there. Who is worthy of the post - season

assignments??? High school guy is there 24/7 but college guy can do things

on the court that hs guy has no clue about. Mostly judgement and game

management.

Billy Mac - what do you get for your $35 dues from IAABO? Convention is

next weekend in Portland, Maine. Are the Pa guys who aren't IAABO any

worse than the Jersey guys who bleed IAABO ??? I am indifferent on the

subject.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I assign another sport having 20 schools (V & JV).

Here is the million dollar question and I would love the feedback.

You have an above average hs. guy who works every tues / thurs / fri. and is

steady, but you have a "college guy", who gives you every friday and and

a couple days here and there. Who is worthy of the post - season

assignments??? High school guy is there 24/7 but college guy can do things

on the court that hs guy has no clue about. Mostly judgement and game

management.
This is ultimately an area issue. The days you gave do not apply to high school games here the same way and we can work multiple games on Saturday which happens with high school officials all the time in my area. You have to decide what is better. But it is a fact that many of our officials get playoff games that work college ball where I live. Then again it is assigned at the state level, not the local level. I would think it matters more who are the top officials in your area and how many games they are giving you percentage wise. Also in my area I will not work really more than 4 or 5 games for any one assignor. So I cannot give them that many days anyway as I would only work one conference.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Commissioner's Rating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
What does availability have to do with how well you officiate? So if I work a heavy NCAA, etc schedule I'm not as good as the high school guys who work every night of the week, thus I can't work a Varsity game because my availability doesn't show me to be a qualified official.
Having a college schedule doesn't count against a member's availability. Neither do work, family, or health (illness, injury) related issues. Blocking off games to make oneself available for town recreation games every Monday night, or for travel games every Saturday, or for Wednesday bowling night with the guys will count against you.

The commissioners availability rating also takes into consideration many things that make his job easier: keeping Arbiter calendar updated and current, listing correct e-mail address and phone numbers, listing cell phone first, photo of official (face not body) on Arbiter, number of missed assignments, accepting minimum assignments, number of turnbacks, submitting rating sheets by due date, etc.

Some people are very irresponsible and have to be reminded several times regarding deadlines.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Vote Early, Vote Often ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Who is worthy of the post-season assignments???
State tournament games are 100% based on coaches voting. Believe it or not, the coaches do a pretty good job. I've been around the block a few times and I'm pretty good at identifying good officials. We had about two dozen members selected for the high school tournament last season, and I can honestly say that I only questioned how one member got on that list.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 05:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Say it ain't so.....

Quote:
..... and I can honestly say that I only questioned how one member got on that list.
and yet, YOU refereed the game anyhow?
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Quote A Certain Mesozoic Official ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
and yet, YOU refereed the game anyhow?
Hey. Rulz is rulz.

Old Thu Sep 02, 2010, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
State tournament games are 100% based on coaches voting. Believe it or not, the coaches do a pretty good job. I've been around the block a few times and I'm pretty good at identifying good officials. We had about two dozen members selected for the high school tournament last season, and I can honestly say that I only questioned how one member got on that list.
I have always had a huge problem with letting a coaches rating carry a lot of weight with postseason assignments. Coaches rate us on wins and losses period! You make a great call at the end of the game and all one coach remembers is that you screwed him and his team and your rating will show that. Coaches have no idea about most of the rules and they make that clear every week of the season. Why should any official’s postseason fate be determined by people who really don't have an idea about officiating.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2010, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Vote Early, Vote Often ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I have always had a huge problem with letting a coaches rating carry a lot of weight with postseason assignments. Coaches have no idea about most of the rules and they make that clear every week of the season. Why should any official’s postseason fate be determined by people who really don't have an idea about officiating.
It's not a rating. It's a vote, pure and simple. The more votes you get, the deeper into the tournament you work.

I know it's hard to believe, but the coaches do a very good job of voting our best officials into the tournament every year. Yes, every year some good officials are left off the tournament list, there are just so many spots available. But every year the list is made up of our best officials. As I said in an earlier post, this past season there was only one name on the list that I thought didn't belong there. The season before I had no reservations about anyone on the tournament list.

Old Thu Sep 02, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I have always had a huge problem with letting a coaches rating carry a lot of weight with postseason assignments. Coaches rate us on wins and losses period! You make a great call at the end of the game and all one coach remembers is that you screwed him and his team and your rating will show that. Coaches have no idea about most of the rules and they make that clear every week of the season. Why should any official’s postseason fate be determined by people who really don't have an idea about officiating.
The advantage I can see to having Coaches vote would be that it is much harder for a referee to improperly "influence" enough coaches to make it to the tournament. In my state each association has an assignor and one or more evaluators. The Assignor and Evaluators recommend referees to the State. Local "friendship" makes a huge difference in who is promoted to the state and often is unrelated to ability.