The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

HS Associations - Training Programs

I have been moving around a lot the last few years and every time I enter a new association I have a new set of rules to follow in order to gain varisty status. It doesn't bother me but it got me to thinking.

My question(s) for you:
What was the process for you when you joined your association?
Was there classroom time, if so how many years?
Were you assigned a mentor?
What did you have to score on the NFHS test?
Was there an evaluation process, if so what had to take place?
Any other requirements?

I realize there are a lot of questions, but your answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 02:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
My question(s) for you:
Fill out the paper work and pay dues (if they asked for it. Some associations did not require dues to be paid the first year)

Quote:
No.

Quote:
No.
Quote:
Only the state requires this. And it was 80%.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Any other requirements?
Not from the local associations. There were more from the state association, but I am not 100% sure which you are referring to.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

No, there was a training process, but that started a few years after my first year.

No, I wasn't assigned a mentor. Going into my first few years even up to now, my 7th year, I have had good friends who have become my mentors and have helped me out greatly.

The standard in the state where I am at is 75 percent, I don't know if that is standard all across the country that uses FED rules.

Yes, there were evaluations but they took place at the end of the season. As things have begin change for the better evaluations have become more and more part of the daily activities at games.

Any other requirements?
Nope

I hope this helps with what you are looking for. Each area of the country is different on how they train officials with technique and verbage, that is not in the case/rule book, but some things are still standard such as evaluation, rule knowledge, signals and of course being able to call the game!

Peace!
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 11:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
My $.02

Quote:
Pay dues, go to the initial meeting, go to state mandated meeting, take the exam, register in Arbiter, do scrimmages and get evals, wait for assignments.
Quote:
Unfortunately, we had very few classroom sessions initially. However, we had/have a great many on-court sessions. We're supposed to have more classroom time this yr. Jury is out on that one.....
Quote:
I don't believe in "assigning" mentors. After many yrs in the military, I believe a mentor is someone YOU choose because of their knowledge, demeanor, experience, etc., and someone you can talk to and get along with as a friend, confident. It is someone of YOUR choosing. I don't know that I'd want someone assigning me to someone I may not get along with, we have very little else in common, who is not a good teacher, listener, personable, etc.
Quote:
I believe we need an 80% here.
Quote:
We are evaluated during pre-season scrimmages by our training committee and they decide on what level we're assigned. IMO, it's been pretty fare. Pre-game, in game management, rules, appearance, communications, etc.
Quote:
Any other requirements?
Be available when needed, jump at all opportunities, listen and learn, gain experience, hustle and do your best.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 02:42pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Be available when needed, jump at all opportunities, listen and learn, gain experience, hustle and do your best.
Sorry, Pal

In spite of all your dutiful efforts, I still see a steady diet of girl's 5th grade games for you, mostly in faraway Fauquier county.

Guess those morals charges from that cheerleader last year are coming back to haunt you.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 04:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
That's My Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Sorry, Pal

In spite of all your dutiful efforts, I still see a steady diet of girl's 5th grade games for you, mostly in faraway Fauquier county.

Guess those morals charges from that cheerleader last year are coming back to haunt you.
As always, thanks for your support and vote of confidence.

PS - you're just a sayin all that cause ya knows me!
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 04:48pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As always, thanks for your support and vote of confidence.

PS - you're just a sayin all that cause ya knows me!
Didn't want to really spoil your day and let on that I'll be riding with you!!
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Training In Our Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Those interested in joining our local IAABO Board attend several meetings on written rules. Those that pass the written rules test then attend several meetings on mechanics, after which they are given a floor exam. If they pass the floor exam they are considered probationary members and are assigned middle school, and junior varsity, games.

After that initial probationary season these officials then become full members. They can then take advantage of optional "Bread and Butter" meetings where our best officials teach them how to become better officials. We have also started a voluntary mentor program.

Officials in their first three years are considered "subvarsity" officials and can only work subvarsity games. During these three years they are rated by subvarsity, and varsity, officials who work with them, or see them work, and are ranked according to these ratings, as well as getting "points" for the refresher exam, meeting attendance, and availability to work games. Rankings determine the number of games, and quality of games, assigned by our commissioner.

After three years as a "subvarsity" official, those "subvarsity" officials who are ranked high enough can move up to a "split" ranking and are eligible to work both subvarsity, and varsity, games. The number and quality of subvarsity, and varsity, games assigned is based on their ranking.

After three years as a "split" official, those "split" officials who are ranked high enough can move up to a "full varsity" ranking and are eligible to work all varsity games. The number and quality of varsity games assigned is based on their ranking.

Not only can officials move up the ladder based on their peer ratings, and ranking, but they can move down the ladder as well.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 26, 2010 at 07:32pm.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have a question for you Billy about IAABO. We have an IAABO chapter in our area that we can join. But because IAABO has no significance in our area most people never join or have a reason to join. Here is the actual question for you.

If I were not for some reason move to an IAABO state or area where being a member was required and I have not previously had membership in IAABO. Would I start at the sub-varsity level automatically or would I have the opportunity to work some varsity as I have over 10 years at that level. Or would I be given some sort of consideration if I was an IAABO member even though that organization does no assigning or has any say in what levels I work? How would I be able to share my experience as a varsity official if I am a member if no one in that Chapter seems to know for sure what I have worked other than what I would tell them on some level?

For the record this is a serious question, but I am not in a position to move at all. Just wondering what you do with guys like me that might have even worked the highest of levels but did not do it in your structure?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Those interested in joining our local IAABO Board attend several meetings on written rules. Those that pass the written rules test then attend several meetings on mechanics, after which they are given a floor exam. If they pass the floor exam they are considered probationary members and are assigned middle school, and junior varsity, games.

After that initial probationary season these officials then become full members. They can then take advantage of optional "Bread and Butter" meetings where our best officials teach them how to become better officials. We have also started a voluntary mentor program.

Officials in their first three years are considered "subvarsity" officials and can only work subvarsity games. During these three years they are rated by subvarsity, and varsity, officials who work with them, or see them work, and are ranked according to these ratings, as well as getting "points" for the refresher exam, meeting attendance, and availability to work games. Rankings determine the number of games, and quality of games, assigned by our commissioner.

After three years as a "subvarsity" official, those "subvarsity" officials who are ranked high enough can move up to a "split" ranking and are eligible to work both subvarsity, and varsity, games. The number and quality of subvarsity, and varsity, games assigned is based on their ranking.

After three years as a "split" official, those "split" officials who are ranked high enough can move up to a "varsity" ranking and are eligible to work all varsity games. The number and quality of varsity games assigned is based on their ranking.

Not only can officials move up the ladder based on their peer ratings, and ranking, but they can move down the ladder as well.
Billy,
Am I following the math correctly?
1 yr. Probationary
3 yrs. (minimum) Subvarsity
3 yrs. (minimum) Split

Then, assuming all other criteria have been met successfully, promotion to Varsity which would be the start of the official's 8th year with your board.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Blind Jokes Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If I were not for some reason move to an IAABO state or area where being a member was required and I have not previously had membership in IAABO. Would I start at the sub-varsity level automatically or would I have the opportunity to work some varsity as I have over 10 years at that level. Or would I be given some sort of consideration if I was an IAABO member even though that organization does no assigning or has any say in what levels I work?
I not really sure about my answer, but I'll give it a shot. If you're going from one IAABO board to another IAABO board, then I'm sure that some type of communication would take place between the leadership of both boards and you would be assigned pretty close to what you were used to. Worst case scenario, you would be assigned both subvarsity, and varsity, games. If, on the other hand, you were moving from a non-IAABO chapter to an IAABO chapter, then you would probably start at the bottom of the ladder.

Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state, and each local board has their own "IAABO assigner".

I can't speak for, or against, non-IAABO organizations, but I do know that the main emphasis of IAABO is to educate officials. We take that very seriously, on the local level, the state level, and the national, and the international, level. I believe that we are very good at in our goal of educating, and improving, officials. That alone, may be a good reason to join an IAABO board. Assigning games takes a back seat to improving officials in IAABO.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chutes and Ladders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Promotion to Varsity which would be the start of the official's 8th year with your board.
Promotion to "Full" varsity, that is, 100% varsity assignments, if you were rated, and ranked, high enough, would occur in the eighth year. Also, based on ratings, and rankings, you could see some varsity assignments as a "Split" official, in the fourth year.

On the other hand, if you're ratings, and ranking, were low enough, you could be a lifelong subvarsity official.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 26, 2010 at 07:35pm.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can't speak for, or against, non-IAABO organizations, but I do know that the main emphasis of IAABO is to educate officials. We take that very seriously, on the local level, the state level, and the national, and the international, level. I believe that we are very good at in our goal of educating, and improving, officials. That alone, may be a good reason to join an IAABO board. Assigning games takes a back seat to improving officials in IAABO.
Not to knock IAABO but I think my state has some of the best training in the country when you consider the openness to camps and video training. Not to say that IAABO does not do a good job. I have seen their literature and it is good. But I think the grass roots stuff we do is also very good. And for someone like me to join would mean I would have to spend money to join something I already get here or to something that is not going to benefit me any more than what we do. Also our mechanics are a little different and we do not subscribe to many things IAABO does mechanically. Assigning at this point would be the only real benefit at this moment. I could not use any of your interpreters or materials here because of those differences.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Camp Town Racetrack Five Miles Long ...

Quote:
The openness to camps... But I think the grass roots stuff we do is also very good.
No local camp in our little corner of Connecticut this season due to inability to find a summer league, or player's camp, that we could work with.

Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 06:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Odd ???

Quote:
Our mechanics are a little different and we do not subscribe to many things IAABO does mechanically.
Agree. Here in Connecticut we use NFHS rules and IAABO mechanics. I don't know why we switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics a few years ago? What was wrong with NFHS mechanics?