The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Too much confusion is created if used in that context. Marginal contact may or may not be a foul, by rule. Severe contact may or may not be a foul, by rule. Incidental contact is never a foul, by rule. And of course, illegal contact is always a foul, by rule.
Substantively, I agree, but the reason is that the rules define 'incidental' but not 'marginal'.

If 'marginal' means 'incidental', then we don't need the word 'marginal'. If it means something else, then it's not going to mark the distinction between legal and illegal contact.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If 'marginal' means 'incidental', then we don't need the word 'marginal'. If it means something else, then it's not going to mark the distinction between legal and illegal contact.
And therein lies the rub....whatever the hell that means....I've never seen a rub lie...or lay for that matter...but I digress....

We really don't need the words "marginal" OR "severe" when it comes to defining contact. The contact is either a foul or it is not a foul. That's why all we need is the adjectives "incidental" and "illegal".

Incidental contact isn't a foul. Illegal contact is a foul.

KISS.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Substantively, I agree, but the reason is that the rules define 'incidental' but not 'marginal'.

Marginal in the context I have heard it (always in camp coming from the mouths of conference supervisors and/or D1 officials) is "contact not worthy of a foul call".

So it's not exactly a technical term, just the "in" term in some regions to assess whether or not a foul should have been called.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
So what if an opponents teammate pushes him into an airborne shooter? its "incidental" according to definition?? but the contact is not marginal, so......

Whether its an incident or an accident, illegal contact is illegal contact. I can jump non vertical and see that i'm illegal and draw my hands back in a "im not trying to foul" manner but that doesn't forgo the fact that my trajectory is still illegal, incident or not.

I think we get to hung up on marginal and incidental. If you use either I know what you mean, as does everyone else. I was just trying to make a point with the above. No offense
Since no one mentioned "accidental" until now, I'm assuming you're confusing the definition of "incidental." "Accidental" is not the same thing as "incidental." One is defined in the rules, and the other isn't even used. I don't give a crap about accidental here, and neither do the rules.

The point is, "incidental" contact is not illegal. "Marginal" contact can be illegal, and severe contact can be incidental.

Here is your list of antonyms for purposes of this thread:
1. incidental - illegal
2. accidental - intentional
3. marginal - severe

Each word is only mutually exclusive with its antonym, its relationship to the others is not absolute.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Marginal in the context I have heard it (always in camp coming from the mouths of conference supervisors and/or D1 officials) is "contact not worthy of a foul call".

So it's not exactly a technical term, just the "in" term in some regions to assess whether or not a foul should have been called.
I think it's like "on the floor." In context, it generally means "incidental" and the thought process is correct. However, it gives the impression that the foul is determined by the severity of the contact.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Here is your list of antonyms for purposes of this thread:
1. incidental - illegal
2. accidental - intentional
3. marginal - severe

Each word is only mutually exclusive with its antonym, its relationship to the others is not absolute.
Wait, what?