The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

DQ'ed player misses free throws -- correctable?

A1 fouls B2. Common foul in the double bonus.

After the whistle blows, B2 commits a flagrant technical foul on A1. By rule, B2 is disqualified but remains in the game.

B2 misses both of his ensuing free throws.

The officials then discover that B2 was in the game after being disqualified and therefore not eligible to shoot the free throws.

Officials inform the coach that B2 is disqualified and ask for a replacement sub. The coach asks if the free throws are a correctable error and if he can send in B6 to re-shoot the free throws.

Coach A sees/hears this going on and is furious since Team B will now get another chance at two points.

What do you do?

Last edited by fiasco; Fri Jan 15, 2010 at 05:36pm.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

After the whistle blows, B2 commits a flagrant technical foul on A1. By rule, B2 is disqualified but remains in the game.

The officials then discover that B2 was in the game after being disqualified and therefore not eligible to shoot the free throws.

Officials inform the coach that B2 is disqualified and ask for a replacement sub. The coach asks if the free throws are a correctable error and if he can send in B6 to re-shoot the free throws.

Coach A sees/hears this going on and is furious since Team B will now get another chance at two points.

What do you do?
There's an interp from 10 years ago (or so) that says this is a correctable error. Search the archives.

FWIW, I disagree with the interp.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's an interp from 10 years ago (or so) that says this is a correctable error. Search the archives.

I think you're memory is fading (or mine is). I remember the opposite.

Until a player is offiically DQ,d by informing the coach, everything they do stands....even FT's. Error is not correctable.

Now, if the player had been properly DQ'd the coach and player going to end up with a T for playing a DQ'd player. You could also go so far as to charge the player with taking a FT to which they were not entitled. Not that I'd stack them up in reality but there is support in the rules.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:14pm
#thereferee99

Quote:

When does a player become disqualified?

Quote:

What do you do?
Follow rules and case play. Throws already attempted count. Player is then disqualified, and on we play.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You are right. The play stands.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Until a player is offiically DQ,d by informing the coach, everything they do stands....even FT's. Error is not correctable.

Now, if the player had been properly DQ'd the coach and player going to end up with a T for playing a DQ'd player. You could also go so far as to charge the player with taking a FT to which they were not entitled. Not that I'd stack them up in reality but there is support in the rules.
I agree - this is something that our SRI hammers into us every year at the mandatory rules meeting.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2017, 09:33pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:

Is the rule/interpretation still the same today?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2017, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Correctable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Is the rule/interpretation still the same today?
Good question. We've always discussed what happens if said player takes the free throw before the coach is informed of the disqualification, but I don't believe that we've ever discussed what happens is said player takes the free throw after the coach (and the player) is informed of the disqualification.

My best guesses:
- Technical foul to head coach for allowing said player to participate.
- No technical foul to player for knowingly taking a free throw he was not entitled to, it was he who got fouled.
- The error is not correctable, he's not the wrong player to attempt a free throw, it was he who got fouled.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 03, 2017, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Quote:

First there was an old interp stating that the FTs stand as the player isn't DQ'd until the coach is notified. A few years ago there was a Case Book play stating the opposite--the FTs were correctable and to be retaken. However, that was quickly corrected before that same season in the online interps after the NFHS was informed of the erroneous ruling.
Current ruling is that the FTs stand.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2017, 01:07am

Case 4.14.1 D