The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Now I realize that most of you guys ref big time ball. I myself referee high school summer leagues and adult recreation stuff. I had an adult league game, very casual. A2 was fouled by B1. A time out was then called. When play resumed, we went to the line to shoot 1 and 1 free throws. Both were made and play resumed. After the second was made, it was pointed out that the incorrect player shot the free throws. I talked to my partner and we both realized that he was correct, we just missed it. I know that was a very rookie mistake to make and that we should have paid attention to who the shooter was. However, the mistake was made, is it a correctable mistake?
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by zangief
Now I realize that most of you guys ref big time ball. I myself referee high school summer leagues and adult recreation stuff. I had an adult league game, very casual. A2 was fouled by B1. A time out was then called. When play resumed, we went to the line to shoot 1 and 1 free throws. Both were made and play resumed. After the second was made, it was pointed out that the incorrect player shot the free throws. I talked to my partner and we both realized that he was correct, we just missed it. I know that was a very rookie mistake to make and that we should have paid attention to who the shooter was. However, the mistake was made, is it a correctable mistake?
Yup. And it was discovered in time to correct it, as well.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zangief
zangief,
Welcome to the board!

Indeed that error is correctable.
The penalty may vary depending upon intention and attention.
mick
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Yup, this one is a correctable error- right up to the first dead ball after the clock has started after the FT's. Cancel both FT's and put the correct shooter on the line for the 1-1. If you felt that the wrong offensive player deliberately took the FT's, you could have T'd him up for an unsporting act too.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, this one is a correctable error- right up to the first dead ball after the clock has started after the FT's. Cancel both FT's and put the correct shooter on the line for the 1-1. If you felt that the wrong offensive player deliberately took the FT's, you could have T'd him up for an unsporting act too.
A1 is awarded 2 free throws.
A2 intentionally takes the throws.
A2 gets whacked.

Does A1 get two throws before the ball is awarded to B?

mick
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
A2 gets whacked.

Aw, you know the answer, you devious little Yooper. It's good to teach!

False double foul. A1 gets 2 substitute FT's with the lane cleared. Any B player(s) then shoots 2 FT's for A2's T with the lane cleared. B gets the ball at center opposite the benches.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
A2 gets whacked.

mick
Trick question?

Under fed, fouls administered in the order they occur...A1 gets his throws, B gets his throws and the ball at midcourt. No?

Under NCAA, T's are at POI...B gets his throws then we administer A1's throws.

No?

BTW Z, this is not a *rookie* mistake. It's an *avoidable* mistake, but it does happen at every level.

Never to me though...

[Edited by Dan_ref on Sep 16th, 2004 at 12:06 PM]
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A2 gets whacked.

Aw, you know the answer, you devious little Yooper. It's good to teach!

False double foul. A1 gets 2 substitute FT's with the lane cleared. Any B player(s) then shoots 2 FT's for A2's T with the lane cleared. B gets the ball at center opposite the benches.
Thanks, JR!
It's good to learn.
mick
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:23am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
A2 gets whacked.

mick
Trick question?

Under fed, fouls administered in the order they occur...A1 gets his throws, B gets his throws and the ball at midcourt. No?

Under NCAA, T's are at POI...B gets his throws then we administer A1's throws.

No?

BTW Z, this is not a *rookie* mistake. It's an *avoidable* mistake, but it does happen at every level.

Never to me though...
Yer right, Dan.
...Not just a rookie mistake. I bet that's why a few rules are needed cover it.
mick
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

If I recall correctly, there was a wrong FT shooter problem in one of the early round games of last year's NCAA tourney. They had to go to the monitor to check for the correct shooter.