The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 04:04pm
Huck Finn

Video

Since the season is getting closer video clips are a good way to train (well they are good all year). Does anyone have any good video plays?

I actually have two, one of which I'm going to cover in our meeting today, but I'm having a hard time converting and editing them - I have the whole game on DVD.

The clip I'm covering today has these elements:

Offensive foul in the backcourt - arm extended to the head area. Defender goes down.
Forearm totally stops dribbler
Passer fouled
L rotates, but T is back with player that went down
L is forced to call foul across the court because T didn't rotate to C
Fourth foul called and now official has to explain why player went down and there was no whistle.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Tommy,

I have several video clips. The only issue is where I put them so they can be seen by everyone. I have all kinds of plays and situations I use for a class I am teaching.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Tommy,

I have several video clips. The only issue is where I put them so they can be seen by everyone. I have all kinds of plays and situations I use for a class I am teaching.

Peace
Have you ever heard of a site called YouTube? I hear that they allow free uploading of videos, and they let just anybody on the interwebs watch 'em!
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 08:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Have you ever heard of a site called YouTube? I hear that they allow free uploading of videos, and they let just anybody on the interwebs watch 'em!
I do not want to put them on YouTube, I do not want a bunch of clowns commenting on the plays like they know what they are talking about (no different than people here )

I should have stated on a personal web page or a page that everyone that is going to do a normal search and easily find them. I could post them off my Facebook page, but I would like to not do that as well.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Video Rule Book - Home
I have found this helpful...even though it is NBA
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Tommy,

Use this: Free Video Cutter

I've been using it for the last month and it has been great! Very easy to use. I use it to prepare clips to show to my high school group for training as well.

JRutledge,

You can turn off the ability for people to comment on your videos in youtube. You could also use Vimeo.com (or many other free video sharing websites)
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 10:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Jeff, you can upload videos to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting , which doesn't have the ability to leave comments at all. Yahoo! Video - It's On seems to work well also.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Jeff, you can upload videos to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting , which doesn't have the ability to leave comments at all. Yahoo! Video - It's On seems to work well also.
Thanks. I have already uploaded a couple of videos. I will post the site when I get more and more up on my site.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not want to put them on YouTube, I do not want a bunch of clowns commenting on the plays like they know what they are talking about (no different than people here )
You don't have to allow comments.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have already uploaded a couple of videos. I will post the site when I get more and more up on my site.

Peace
Awesome! Something to look forward to

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:40am
Huck Finn

Here is the clip I described. I'm not in this video; it is from the Nevada 4A girls championship. We used this for training Sunday.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Who you calling a clown???

BTW, the flower on the chest is in lieu of receiving my actual patch after passing the certification test.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Here is the clip I described. I'm not in this video; it is from the Nevada 4A girls championship. We used this for training Sunday.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Yikes! I guess this is a lesson in what can happen when we don't get the first one... and when the first one is (what looks like) a dirty play, all hell breaks loose.

Tomegun, it's tough to see the first foul in the back court, can you explain what happened?
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:20am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Yikes! I guess this is a lesson in what can happen when we don't get the first one... and when the first one is (what looks like) a dirty play, all hell breaks loose.

Tomegun, it's tough to see the first foul in the back court, can you explain what happened?
I wasn't there and it is hard to tell if the defender fouled the dribbler first. But, we can clearly see the dribbler extend her arm and nothing was called. While we watched this video, someone who was there - 33 years experience - said the official who didn't call the first foul wasn't ready for this game. Someone else who was there said there wasn't much crew communication. He said this as if the other two weren't talking to the third official all game. Two points of view, but there were 3 fouls on this play before the fourth was called.

Maybe Nevada was there and can comment.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
The clip I'm covering today has these elements:

Offensive foul in the backcourt - arm extended to the head area. Defender goes down.
Forearm totally stops dribbler
Passer fouled
L rotates, but T is back with player that went down
L is forced to call foul across the court because T didn't rotate to C
Fourth foul called and now official has to explain why player went down and there was no whistle.
Honestly, I can only "agree" with half of these points from the video.

The clip doesn't show enough of the backcourt situation to show how they contact occurred. It may well be an offensive foul but I would never rule it as such based just on the short bit in the clip.

I don't see a forearm at all. I see the dribbler and the defender collide torso to torso with the defenders arm pinned between....at least from the angle/quality of this video. There could be a foul there, but the video doesn't really tell.

I see some body/body contact on the first passer after the pass is away. Fouled? Perhaps? But where is the advantage. Pass was successful and the contact appeared minor (but again, the video didn't really show the whole interaction to the end so it is hard to see) and not necessarily worth of a whistle (depending on the tone of the game to that point).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 01:20pm.