The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Under fed rules, you cannot use video to decide on the court matters.

My question is, let's say that a fan, or fans, are throwing objects onto the floor repeatedly, but the officials and/or game management cannot figure out who is doing it. Several cameras are taping the game. During a stoppage in play, can we as officials use these cameras to find the correct culprits and have game managament eject them? Can we urge game management to check the tapes before the game is to be continued?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tell them they must deal with the problem for the game to continue. Then, suggest to them that if they are having problem with identifying the culprits, there are several cameras in use.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You could, but you really do not need to.

I guess you could use the tape to figure that out, but I would not stop the game to do so. You cannot use it to make any judgment calls or decisions really. But if a school wants to use a tape to determine who might have done something, not much you can say about that one. But you cannot stop the game because of that.

On my game on Friday we had someone in the student section trying to use a air horn during the game. All we did was stop the game and make the game management aware of this. But this only took a couple of seconds really. Because some of the teachers and other administrators went to the area to make sure that nothing was happening and trying to find out who had the device. We did not stop the game until they found out, we continued to play the game.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: You could, but you really do not need to.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I guess you could use the tape to figure that out, but I would not stop the game to do so. You cannot use it to make any judgment calls or decisions really. But if a school wants to use a tape to determine who might have done something, not much you can say about that one. But you cannot stop the game because of that.

On my game on Friday we had someone in the student section trying to use a air horn during the game. All we did was stop the game and make the game management aware of this. But this only took a couple of seconds really. Because some of the teachers and other administrators went to the area to make sure that nothing was happening and trying to find out who had the device. We did not stop the game until they found out, we continued to play the game.

Peace
I agree I would not stop the game for an air horn. But in the original post it said objects were being thrown onto the court. Depending on the object and wheter or not they would pose a threat to the players on the court I would stop play until the culprits are removed. Say they were throwing BB's or something that could cause a player to slip and fall. By not stopping the game until the culprits are tossed you have let the game preceeed in a dangerous environment and open yourself up for potential problems.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

a couple of years ago we had someone in the band using a laser pointer on the opposing player when they were at the FT line. Stopped game, got management, they could not locate laser and no one fessed up, we ejected the entire band with the management's approval and the applause of the crowd. No problem after that. I would definetly stop the game for objects on the court..
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Remove items, but not going to wait much more after that.

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
I agree I would not stop the game for an air horn. But in the original post it said objects were being thrown onto the court. Depending on the object and wheter or not they would pose a threat to the players on the court I would stop play until the culprits are removed. Say they were throwing BB's or something that could cause a player to slip and fall. By not stopping the game until the culprits are tossed you have let the game preceeed in a dangerous environment and open yourself up for potential problems.
You remove the items. You then play. The game management should be on the look out for the area it came from. But I would not wait until they are tossed before we continue. Not at all. And if they have to consult some tape, then that is not my concern either. It is going to take some time to remove any items on the floor to begin with. But I am not going to wait 5 minutes after the stuff is removed to wait for them to eject a fan, who probably is a kid in the stands that is associated with the school.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefRx
a couple of years ago we had someone in the band using a laser pointer on the opposing player when they were at the FT line. Stopped game, got management, they could not locate laser and no one fessed up, we ejected the entire band with the management's approval and the applause of the crowd. No problem after that. I would definetly stop the game for objects on the court..
Now if we could only eject the cheerleaders for always being in our way.