The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Running out of Bounds

Last night, a ref called a running out of bounds violation on a player without the ball. In which, he was not being forced out. He used the case when that kid ran in and out of the gym.

What is the actual rule? I've never heard of this.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

A player cannot run out of bounds to gain and advantage. This is now a violation, it used to be a Technical foul but changed. Rule 9-3-3.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I’m sure he just made that up. If a ref makes a call that a coach, parent or a recreational league player (did I miss anyone) has never heard of, the ref must have been wrong. The proper way to handle this is to yell and wave your arms at him in distain.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:47pm
We don't rent pigs

9-3-3: A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.

Actually, like most violations, advantage gained is not a written part of the rule, although it may be a consideration in some officials enforcement of the rule. By rule, if team A sets a double screen near the sideline, and A1 runs out of bounds around the screen, a violation is called as soon as A1 steps out of bounds, whether an advantage is gained or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"You got some 'splainin' to do!" ...

I've seen it called once, right after it became a violation instead of a technical foul. During a two person game, like most games here in the "Land of Steady Habits", while I was the lead, an offensive player ran out of bounds, and almost ran into me to go around a screen, and went back in bounds on the other side of the lane. He didn't get the ball that time down, but I said to myself, if he does it again, I'm calling the violation. Down at the other end, a foul was called and my partner and I switched. The next time back down to the other end of the court, I'm the trail, and I hear my partner's whistle. He called the violation on the player for going out of bounds to go around the screen, the same play that I had seen a few minutes earlier. We hadn't even talked about it. He just called it on his own. Good call, but it took some explaining to the coach for him to understand what his player had done wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

U jus' gotta luv'em!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good call, but it took some explaining to the coach for him to understand what his player had done wrong.
You just got to love those "howler monkeys". I last called it this past Spring during an AAU game. It was a boys 14-15 game. It was that same play - the double screen along the end line. The coach's comment was that was the first time that had been called on us.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 05:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Good call, but it took some explaining to the coach for him to understand what his player had done wrong.
My experience is similar to this - since it is seldom called it requires a little explanation.

I saw it called by the same official three times in one quarter in a JV game last yr. I thought the coach was gonna have a stroke!

I've only called it once.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Credit Where Credit Is Due ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
You just got to love those "howler monkeys".
To be honest, the coach asked politely about the call, and because it was such a rare call, my partner took the time to explain the call to him. No "howling" involved this time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 08:20am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I saw it called by the same official three times in one quarter in a JV game last yr. I thought the coach was gonna have a stroke!
Three times? I can do better. I called it 5 times on both teams in the same quarter. I thought the coaches were going to have fisticuffs and blame each other for violating each other.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I don't have an entry in the competition. I usually have to call this at lower levels after a conversation like this:

Coach: Sandy, you've got to get to the basket!

Sandy: But they were standing there!

Coach: Well go around them!

Sandy: OK [runs OOB around them on the next play].
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Four years ago, my very first game in stripes, I watched a kid run out of bounds and back in. No whistle, just watched. Now, everytime this subject is brought up I think about that moment. Haven't had this happen since.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've seen it called once, right after it became a violation instead of a technical foul. During a two person game, like most games here in the "Land of Steady Habits", while I was the lead, an offensive player ran out of bounds, and almost ran into me to go around a screen, and went back in bounds on the other side of the lane. He didn't get the ball that time down, but I said to myself, if he does it again, I'm calling the violation. Down at the other end, a foul was called and my partner and I switched. The next time back down to the other end of the court, I'm the trail, and I hear my partner's whistle. He called the violation on the player for going out of bounds to go around the screen, the same play that I had seen a few minutes earlier. We hadn't even talked about it. He just called it on his own. Good call, but it took some explaining to the coach for him to understand what his player had done wrong.
if you don't mind, i'd like to ask how you explained it to him. because, what's running through my mind (as i'm trying to place myself in your shoes, and the coaches shoes), is how do you explain that call to the coach, when it wasn't called the previous possesion? as an official i understand a rule is a rule, and i've had those sequences where i catch a player doing something and say to myself "if he does that again, i'm calling it." i understand a rule is a rule, and that's really the end of it from the coaches perspective, but i can't imagine he was very happy about his player doing something, not getting called, then doing it the next posession and getting called for it. do you just say that you missed the first violation, or what?
i just want to know for my own future reference if i ever get caught in something like that.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
if you don't mind, i'd like to ask how you explained it to him. because, what's running through my mind (as i'm trying to place myself in your shoes, and the coaches shoes), is how do you explain that call to the coach, when it wasn't called the previous possesion? as an official i understand a rule is a rule, and i've had those sequences where i catch a player doing something and say to myself "if he does that again, i'm calling it." i understand a rule is a rule, and that's really the end of it from the coaches perspective, but i can't imagine he was very happy about his player doing something, not getting called, then doing it the next posession and getting called for it. do you just say that you missed the first violation, or what?
i just want to know for my own future reference if i ever get caught in something like that.

One really cannot/should not/should not be expected to explain everything that one doesn't call.

This makes a coach unhappy?

He should be happy that he got away with it the first time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
I'd be more worried about calling the violation on one end, then missing it on the other. Try explaining that.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this happen to me when the rule change first came out. I called it twice within a quarter one on the home and one the visiting teams. Both coaches though that it was a technical foul becuase they were so use to the "old" verbage of the rule. Man, was that a fun a night. Nothing like having 2 coaches on your case about something like that in the 2nd to last game of the a season.