The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:45am
Ch1town

Video

I recently started breaking down my game tapes on a consistent basis, and I was wondering if any of you all practice this too? I figure if it works for college & NBA officials development, it can't hurt a mere HS official like myself. Seeing is believing!

I watched a few of my games during the season, but didn't really know what to look for. I basically commended myself for all the things I did correctly... when I should've been looking for the things I did wrong.

Video really helps me to see exactly what needs to be fixed in my overall game.
I notice that when I kick a call (rarely ) it's usually because of my incorrect position or a late rotation. I've also been able to correct a few glitches in my mechanics too.

Thoughts on video breakdown?
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Nothing has made more improvement in my game than breaking down video.

For me, it was amazing to see that what I thought I was doing - from positioning to how I transitioned on a break to how my mechanics looked, even how I ran - was not reality. Really breaking down video was both an awesome and humbling experience for me.

The best thing you can do is after you've done it for a whole season, is pop in tape from early in the year and then later in the year and see the difference. I didn't even look like the same person.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Wow- I was just thinking about breaking down my mechanics via video. I think it's a great idea and every official should do it.

I hate to piggyback (I apologize Ch1town) but I have a related question. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to obtain video tapes of the games. Is it appropriate to ask a coach the following day to run off a copy? Should I ask the AD? Thanks! Great question CH1town!

-Josh
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
I hate to piggyback (I apologize Ch1town) but I have a related question. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to obtain video tapes of the games. Is it appropriate to ask a coach the following day to run off a copy? Should I ask the AD? Thanks! Great question CH1town!

-Josh
Josh,

I've taken a blank VHS tape and a blank DVD to my games along with a self-addressed and stamped envelope. Then I ask the AD or other school official (never have directly asked the coach) if it would be possible to get a copy of the game tape, and would VHS or DVD be appropriate? Most of the time they say they'll be happy to give it to the coach, and many times I end up getting the copy.

Doesn't work every time, but I've never had a bad experience asking. Only a couple times has an AD told me they have a policy against it - I'm guessing it's just a way to keep them from having to take the time to do it - but my success rate in actually getting the tapes is lower. I'm sure many coaches don't want to take the time or get too busy to remember and that's fine by me. I see it as a very nice gesture when they send it.

I also spent the money to buy a camcorder this year and whenever my wife attends a game (pretty rare occurence) she videos for me.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I recently started breaking down my game tapes on a consistent basis, and I was wondering if any of you all practice this too? I figure if it works for college & NBA officials development, it can't hurt a mere HS official like myself.
Absolutely true. My first experience breaking down tape was at camp. The observer had a microphone and would make comments, so that when you watched the tape, you had the critique as you were watching the play. Very helpful.

If you're watching a tape without comments, there are several things that you can do. You can dissect a particular play -- watching for position, what you're looking at, evaluate your call or no call. You can watch how you run in transition or your general appearance -- one thing that was pointed out to me was my posture and tape helped me see this. You can watch your mechanics at the spot of the foul and while reporting.

As long as you watch the tape with a critical eye (not just, "wow, I look good!"), I think you will get some usefulness out of it; but the more you "nit-pick" yourself in each situation, the more you'll get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to obtain video tapes of the games. Is it appropriate to ask a coach the following day to run off a copy? Should I ask the AD?
The best way is to bring somebody with you to the game who is willing to do it. If you have kids, you could bribe them to tape the game for you.

If you can't do that, then you can certainly call the AD and ask to have a copy for your own use. Just a warning, though, my own experience is that not too many high school AD's want to be bothered with this. They may say, sure, I'll pass it along to the AV guy, but don't hold your breath waiting.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:58am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If you can't do that, then you can certainly call the AD and ask to have a copy for your own use. Just a warning, though, my own experience is that not too many high school AD's want to be bothered with this. They may say, sure, I'll pass it along to the AV guy, but don't hold your breath waiting.
How true! I worked about 30 varsity games last season & only received 10% of my games on tape. At the HS we can't depend on the schools to care about assisting us in our developement. Don't get me wrong it's worth a try, but I would highly suggest investing in a camcorder & tripod. Even if nobody can come record it for you, at least you could get something on tape.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I just hate to burden someone with coming to a game if I know it's already being taped. I wouldn't have thought about a self-addressed envelope, good call! I would have just went and picked it up when I could. I know a few years back someone tapes me umpiring and I realized a lot of things in that 40 second video that I was doing without any knowledge I was actually doing it. Video is good stuff!

-Josh
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I tend to chart every call I make and my partners make. When I have someone taping my purposes I have them follow my table reporting. I even have them watch dead ball coverage so we can see who is doing what and how we interact with players and coaches during dead ball situations. It has added years to my career because I get to see the good and the bad. I have seen many bad or things that I would like to change.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:29pm
Official & Member

After being recorded at the last camp I attended, I've become a big believer in reviewing games. I've been looking at an Archos 705 digital media player. 80GB of storage,= about 100 movies. 7" screen, plus an adapter that would allow you to have anybody taping a game with a video cam for a team easily record on the Archos as well. Slip the kid doing the recording $5 bucks and I'm sure (s)he'd be willing to tape you when you report in addition to game action. I think the Archos goes for around $400 for the 7" screen. A lot less if you can deal with a 4 1/2" screen.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I usually watch my tape a couple times.

Then I take my tape to a fellow official's house and watch it with him and he gives me more critique.

Then I am fortunate to know a former D-1 stud who I send the tape to and he sends me back about 3 pages.

Critiquing it yourself helps, but getting someone else to watch it (especially someone with a ton of high-level experience) can be extremely helpful.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
After being recorded at the last camp I attended, I've become a big believer in reviewing games. I've been looking at an Archos 705 digital media player. 80GB of storage,= about 100 movies. 7" screen, plus an adapter that would allow you to have anybody taping a game with a video cam for a team easily record on the Archos as well. Slip the kid doing the recording $5 bucks and I'm sure (s)he'd be willing to tape you when you report in addition to game action. I think the Archos goes for around $400 for the 7" screen. A lot less if you can deal with a 4 1/2" screen.
I don't think 80GBs of storage equates to 100 movies. Especially if it is higher quality videos.

I've been looking to get one of these ever since someone mentioned it earlier this year on this forum. This looks like the perfect device for a traveling referee that wants to break down their game films!

The idea of having the video available instantly after the game is sooooo enticing. An NBA official told me that it is best to break down your film within 36 hours of your game. It usually takes much longer then 36 hours to get your game film from coaches or ADs. It would also allow you to look at a specific play with your partners immediately after the game. You'd be the envy of your association .

Chitown, some advice I received from an NBA official on breaking down game film:

1) You don't have to watch the entire game in order to get better. He was saying that most people have families and other things in life to prevent them from watching 2 hours of game film every night after their games. He said that if you are not in the right position in the first 5 minutes of the game then you are probably in that same position on subsequent plays. I think this is good advice for officials that don't have the time to break down an entire game. The official does not have an excuse for not watching 5 minutes of their game.

2) The PAUSE BUTTON is your best friend. When a player drives to the basket...pause it. When there is a skip pass...pause it. When a post player receives the ball...you get the idea . The purpose is to see where you and your partners are as opposed to where you SHOULD be. This will help you to anticipate plays and being in the proper position before the play starts.

Whoops battery is about to die I will finish this later before I lose what I've typed.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Charting from video can be very helpful, especially because you can look at multiple games. I don't think you can tell much from charting a single game.