The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Jump ball or out of bounds?

I was working a game at a camp using 3 person crews. Player a1 in transition just over mid court near sideline jumps in the air to throw over head pass. b1 jumps as well and the pass is stuffed. b1 lands out of bounds with both players still touching the ball. We have a double whistle as trail calls out of bounds and lead calls jump.

I have been thinking about this and still not sure of correct call. What would be correct, with rules reference? This was NCAAW but would like NFHS as well.

My thought is that the oob would be correct because you would need to land to get to the jump ball ruling. Of course that was my original call as well, so my bias shows.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I was working a game at a camp using 3 person crews. Player a1 in transition just over mid court near sideline jumps in the air to throw over head pass. b1 jumps as well and the pass is stuffed. b1 lands out of bounds with both players still touching the ball. We have a double whistle as trail calls out of bounds and lead calls jump.

I have been thinking about this and still not sure of correct call. What would be correct, with rules reference? This was NCAAW but would like NFHS as well.

My thought is that the oob would be correct because you would need to land to get to the jump ball ruling. Of course that was my original call as well, so my bias shows.
Based on what?

If the stuff prevents the pass from being thrown, then you have a held ball situation. Would you call him for traveling if he landed in bounds? The held ball happened in the air before any violation was committed, that's your call here.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
My thought is that the oob would be correct because you would need to land to get to the jump ball ruling.
Well, this may be the issue. 4-25-2 says, "A held ball occurs when...an opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try." If they have to land, they wouldn't be airborne anymore, right?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Well, this may be the issue. 4-25-2 says, "A held ball occurs when...an opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try." If they have to land, they wouldn't be airborne anymore, right?
They have to land before you can call the held ball, but the held ball occurred before they landed.

It's like lifting the pivot foot before the ball is released: you have to see whether it's released for a dribble or a pass. The travel happens when the pivot foot is lifted, but you can call a violation only after the player dribbles.

I do some metaphysics and other hair splitting for my day job.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
They have to land before you can call the held ball, but the held ball occurred before they landed.

I do some metaphysics and other hair splitting for my day job.
I agree here.

I don't agree here. Where does it say you have to wait to make the call? Now, I agree that many officials may wait to see if the ball truly was prevented from being released before the player landed, or, in other words, having a patient whistle to watch the whole play. But I don't know of any requirement that the player has to land before the call is "official", so to speak. In your traveling example, what happens after the player releases the ball is important in determing whether a violation occured - was it a dribble or pass? In the held ball example, the held ball occured in the air, so there's no requirement to wait.

See, I can hair-split with the best of them.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:37am
Ch1town

Quote:
So A1 jumps to shoot the ball, B5 caps the ball so it cannot be released. Are you saying we shouldn't call the held ball until they land??
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
So A1 jumps to shoot the ball, B5 caps the ball so it cannot be released. Are you saying we shouldn't call the held ball until they land??
I'm waiting. I've had my shot capped a few times but was still strong enough to release it before I landed. In fact it happened to me today in lunch-time ball. Unfortunately a 2nd defender swatted my sh!t.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This situation is clearly covered by 4.25.2
"An opponent places his/her hand on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

The OP and this is covered under situation for 4.25.2

since a held ball came first; HELD ball is the correct call

Last edited by ILMalti; Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 12:46pm.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm waiting. I've had my shot capped a few times but was still strong enough to release it before I landed. In fact it happened to me today in lunch-time ball. Unfortunately a 2nd defender swatted my sh!t.
The rule says a held ball if "... control cannot to obtained without undue roughness (4.25.1)
and as in your case
"... prevents an airborne player from...." (4.25.2)

neither seem to apply here

Hopefully a shooting foul was called
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:46pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMalti View Post
This situation is clearly covered by 4.25.2
"An opponent places his/her hand on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

The OP and this is covered under situation for 4.25.2

HELD ball is the correct call
Yes, I'm aware of the rule. The question was about, waiting for them to land before ruling on the play as mbyron stated.

Quote:
You called the foul, right
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of the rule. The question was about, waiting for them to land before ruling on the play as mbyron stated.

You called the foul, right
The held ball came first Therefore held ball is called. When they left the floor I assume both playes were inbound

I did edit my post

Thank you I hope for a good call once in awhile
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I agree here.

I don't agree here. Where does it say you have to wait to make the call?
What if the ball is released before the shooter returns to the floor?
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the ball is released before the shooter returns to the floor?
If the shooter attempt to release the ball for a try or the throw was prevented, what happened after is moot. Held Ball

On the other hand if the shooter jumped in the air and as the defender was approaching dropped the ball on the floor, very different situation.

Perhaps a bit more details is required please.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 09:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMalti View Post
If the shooter attempt to release the ball for a try or the throw was prevented, what happened after is moot. Held Ball

Perhaps a bit more details is required please.
MSG #7 from me gives an example:

Quote:
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MSG #7 from me gives an example:
But from your own MSG7 you were able to release it, thus you were not prevented thus no held ball.