The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
First of all, I appreciate coaches like yourself who know their rules!!
Beats the heck out of the freshman coach I had last night who says his player was fouled because he was contacted on his hand during the shot
Wish I would've handled that in a better way, but that's another story.

I wouldn't bring out a rulebook during halftime or right after the game. Instead I'd try this approach:

"This is your ballgame to manage, with all due respect, I think your ruling is incorrect. If we can discuss it later I'm willing to put a steak dinner of MY choice on the line."
I like that. I don't get the call changed, but I never was going to anyway, and the situation is diffused, calming myself down.

And, as far as bringing out the rulebook, the one time I made a move to get the rulebook out, I was told very sternly:

"You bring that rulebook out, and we're gonna have a problem".

It wasn't a physical threat (I think), but a "you're gonna get tossed" threat. I posted that story on here awhile back, and everyone made it very clear that the rulebook is a big no-no.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Right, for a variety of reasons, it's a no-no in basketball. With me, a smile and a "I think you're wrong on that rule," if said quietly and discretely, might work. It won't change a call or ruling, but it will spur me to check the book later.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Beats the heck out of the freshman coach I had last night who says his player was fouled because he was contacted on his hand during the shot
Wish I would've handled that in a better way, but that's another story.
[/I]
OK, Ch1, the floor is yours. We don't run out of paper or ink on this here Internet thing.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 11:42pm
Ch1town

Okay but I'm embarassed about it. So for a summer league, coach is kind of loud & vocal about me "missing the foul". My first mistake was addressing it during a live ball in transition

I ask him where did he get him at?
He says on the hand, didn't you hear it
I say you must not be the HEAD freshman coach... because contact on the hand while a player is shooting is not a foul... while they are holding the ball or dribbling the ball either for that matter. (in a not so calm manner)

He didn't say another word for the whole game, he barely coached his kids. I think I embarassed him in front of his kids & I'm not too proud of that. It was unacceptable to my standards & disrespectful... even though he was out of line & wrong (my pet peeve). But someday he'll be a head varsity or NCAA coach.
I plan to apologize to him when I work there next Wednesday.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:54am
MABO Member

A local University Assistant Coach, who is the Varsity Head Coach at a high school where I work called me over this season after a call.

She said, "I know you made the call the way you saw it and thats fine. I understand the ruling to be this. She proceeded to make a short statement about her interp. She concluded to say I would appreciate it if you could look it up and get back to me in case I am mistaken."

I tell you she was a class act, made the whole situation be about making sure we both were understanding the call. I looked up the ruling at half time and found out that what I had called was correct but how I adminsitered after the call was incorrect.

She thanked me for looking and said not many would do that and tell her what they found.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
She said, "I know you made the call the way you saw it and thats fine. I understand the ruling to be this. She proceeded to make a short statement about her interp. She concluded to say I would appreciate it if you could look it up and get back to me in case I am mistaken."

That's usually the approach that works for (on) me. If it's during the game, maybe a polite request to check with the other officials on the rule.