Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Coach Bill:

There is always a place to go. Get out of the gym and go somewhere, but do not stick around on the court.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Mark, it's not always practical, to be honest.
Go to the opposite end/side of the court from where the fans are congregating with the teams. Or walk with a purpose to a destination without making eye contact with anyone.

A fan or coach really has to go out their way to make contact with me, no matter what the venue.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 02:53pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not a bad practice. Had a couple games last weekend where the time between games was three minutes. I normally stand at half court but haven't focused on how far from the table I stand. I've only had a problem one time at an AAU game, and that was when the parent went out of her way to request our names so she could report us "to AAU." I learned my lesson about engaging them at that time. Even though I simply referred her to the site director with her request, my partner decided to engage her in "conversation" that went nowhere.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

There is ALWAYS a corner out of the way to go to. It might not be a bus trip for the coach to get there, but it will be far enough that he has to make an effort to go to you. That is probably all that's needed for a report or turn-over to the event admin.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've only had a problem one time at an AAU game, and that was when the parent went out of her way to request our names so she could report us "to AAU."
Stock answer #1: "I'm sorry. We're not allowed to give out our names. It's a rule of the witness protection program."

Stock answer #2: "You'll have to ask our parole officer. He's in the locker room. I can go get him if you like."

Stock answer #3: "I'm Earl Strom. He's Jake O'Donnell."

I never say my name is Skippy Weaselpants. Giving out my real name defeats the purpose.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My answer: "You'll have to take your complaints to the tournament director."
My partner got into a discussion with her that ended with more animosity than it started with.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Stock answer #1: "I'm sorry. We're not allowed to give out our names. It's a rule of the witness protection program."

Stock answer #2: "You'll have to ask our parole officer. He's in the locker room. I can go get him if you like."

I never say my name is Skippy Weaselpants. Giving out my real name defeats the purpose.
"Eric Straton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet you!"
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I thought I'd shared an interesting story. AAU game, NFHS rules.

Our team was down 2 when the final horn sounded. We're shaking hands with the other team, and the other team's coach who had been complaining all game (no T's during game), gives the ref some more crap. The ref T's him up and tells me to give him a shooter. I was aware of the rule, but had never seen it called.

All heck breaks loose. Parents and coaches arguing "the game's over, you can't do that!, etc...". The tournament director comes over. Big pow-wow.

Anyway, we get to shoot our technical (because, of course, the ref is right, and the rules support him). Our guy misses the first one, and the ref signals end of game. I ask if we can shoot the second one, and he says that we don't shoot it, because it doesn't change the outcome. I'm sure he's right, but he let us shoot the other one when I told him that he might have to 'T' up the other coach again.

We made the 2nd free throw and the other coach stormed off without another word, and we lost by 1.
Plus and minus.

The official was 100% correct that a technical foul could be charged following the final horn for poor behavior. However, if one is going to go that route and rely upon the rules for justification, then one had darn well better conduct the entire procedure strictly by the book. That means that he screwed up by permitting the 2nd FT to be administered. Had the coach argued about that, he would have been correct. Now what does one do? -- T the coach again when he is right and the official has absolutely no rules support for what he just did?

Good call, poor execution.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double "O" Means License To Kill ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Stock answer #4: Bond. James Bond.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is It Over ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
T after game ended.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
dsturdy5:

The Massachusetts Interscholatic Athletic Association has nothing to do with AAU basketball tournaments, therefore, I ask once again, why were the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line.

MTD, Sr.
I understand that, I was just taking your comment in a vacuum that after a game is over, we are not always running off of the court (as much as I'd like to).

As for those who said there is always a place to go hide even in the gym, that is typically correct. Do your best to be unavailable in between games.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The other point here, WRT MA basketball, is that this couldn't have been done under their rules. They have stripped the officials of this authority so that once the handshake begins technical fouls cannot be called. (That's how I read their little interpretation from Mary, anyway).
Now that is the dumbest thing possible. The officials have the authority to call the T until they leave the visual confines of the court. To have them stick around and not be able to do anything is an exercise in futility. HOW DUMB!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Now that is the dumbest thing possible. The officials have the authority to call the T until they leave the visual confines of the court. To have them stick around and not be able to do anything is an exercise in futility. HOW DUMB!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that someone from MA posted that while the officials can't assess technical fouls during the PGHS they can note any misbehavior in a report to the league/state office who will presumably hand down a fine or suspension of some kind.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Below is taken directly from the MIAA site:

Prior to a full description of the post-game handshake protocol, it is important to review two rule interpretations which impact the ceremony:

NF Basketball Rule 2, Section 5, Article 7 has been adopted, “When the referee either signs the scorebook following the game, or when a non-verbal confirmation is exchanged between the referee and the official scorer, the score is then final and considered approved.” Thus, the post-game handshake will never impact the final score.

MIAA Sportsmanship Rule 49.8 states- “Fighting and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will be within the authority of the official at all times at the contest site. The official’s authority extends to pre and post game oversight.” Implementation of this rule could have future consequences on the offender, but does not affect the final score.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

And the possibility of "future consequences" is not an acceptable trade, IMO, for losing the authority to issue a T.

Again, the dumbest rule in all of sports is the requirement of the officials to stick around for the post-game warm-fuzzies.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
And the possibility of "future consequences" is not an acceptable trade, IMO, for losing the authority to issue a T.

Again, the dumbest rule in all of sports is the requirement of the officials to stick around for the post-game warm-fuzzies.
But it would be cowardly and lazy for Mass. officials not to do.