View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 11:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I thought I'd shared an interesting story. AAU game, NFHS rules.

Our team was down 2 when the final horn sounded. We're shaking hands with the other team, and the other team's coach who had been complaining all game (no T's during game), gives the ref some more crap. The ref T's him up and tells me to give him a shooter. I was aware of the rule, but had never seen it called.

All heck breaks loose. Parents and coaches arguing "the game's over, you can't do that!, etc...". The tournament director comes over. Big pow-wow.

Anyway, we get to shoot our technical (because, of course, the ref is right, and the rules support him). Our guy misses the first one, and the ref signals end of game. I ask if we can shoot the second one, and he says that we don't shoot it, because it doesn't change the outcome. I'm sure he's right, but he let us shoot the other one when I told him that he might have to 'T' up the other coach again.

We made the 2nd free throw and the other coach stormed off without another word, and we lost by 1.

Why in the world are the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line in the first place.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio