The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T after game ended (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53548-t-after-game-ended.html)

Coach Bill Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02am

T after game ended

I thought I'd shared an interesting story. AAU game, NFHS rules.

Our team was down 2 when the final horn sounded. We're shaking hands with the other team, and the other team's coach who had been complaining all game (no T's during game), gives the ref some more crap. The ref T's him up and tells me to give him a shooter. I was aware of the rule, but had never seen it called.

All heck breaks loose. Parents and coaches arguing "the game's over, you can't do that!, etc...". The tournament director comes over. Big pow-wow.

Anyway, we get to shoot our technical (because, of course, the ref is right, and the rules support him). Our guy misses the first one, and the ref signals end of game. I ask if we can shoot the second one, and he says that we don't shoot it, because it doesn't change the outcome. I'm sure he's right, but he let us shoot the other one when I told him that he might have to 'T' up the other coach again.

We made the 2nd free throw and the other coach stormed off without another word, and we lost by 1.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:07am

good job Ref.

he's right, no need to shoot the second shot.

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18am

If he had T'd the coach up again, then you could have shot the 2nd free throw of the first T followed by the other two.

Good job on the refs for making the call.

I'll bet that coach doesn't take the final horn to be some sort of free-license again.

grunewar Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:21am

Ditto

One of my partners WHACKED a HC the other night after the game ended too. The offending coach's team won by five.

The coach "doubled as a commentator" early in the game and after I got tired of hearing it a few times up and down the court, he got the ole stop sign and a verbal from me - "Coach, no more. I'll ref, you coach. We don't need the commentary." I informed my partners.

After the game ended and as we were leaving the court, my partner said the coach got abusive to him and he WHACKED him so he could report it to the league and our assignor.

End of the game doesn't give them a free shot!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 607293)
I thought I'd shared an interesting story. AAU game, NFHS rules.

Our team was down 2 when the final horn sounded. We're shaking hands with the other team, and the other team's coach who had been complaining all game (no T's during game), gives the ref some more crap. The ref T's him up and tells me to give him a shooter. I was aware of the rule, but had never seen it called.

All heck breaks loose. Parents and coaches arguing "the game's over, you can't do that!, etc...". The tournament director comes over. Big pow-wow.

Anyway, we get to shoot our technical (because, of course, the ref is right, and the rules support him). Our guy misses the first one, and the ref signals end of game. I ask if we can shoot the second one, and he says that we don't shoot it, because it doesn't change the outcome. I'm sure he's right, but he let us shoot the other one when I told him that he might have to 'T' up the other coach again.

We made the 2nd free throw and the other coach stormed off without another word, and we lost by 1.

Why in the world are the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line in the first place.

MTD, Sr.

just another ref Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 607318)
Why in the world are the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line in the first place.

MTD, Sr.

'Cause it gives them a warm feeling inside.:)

dsturdy5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35am

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Massachusetts rules state we must during scholastic play.

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 607327)

Absolutely the dumbest rule in all of sports.

Mark Padgett Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 607331)
Absolutely the dumbest rule in all of sports.

No, the dumbest is the one that allows teams to have coaches. :D

Coach Bill Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:06pm

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

There was no place for him to go. He had the next game on that court, too. It was NFHS rules, but it wasn't a high school gym/game where they jog off as soon as the horn sounds.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 607327)

dsturdy5:

The Massachusetts Interscholatic Athletic Association has nothing to do with AAU basketball tournaments, therefore, I ask once again, why were the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 607365)
There was no place for him to go. He had the next game on that court, too. It was NFHS rules, but it wasn't a high school gym/game where they jog off as soon as the horn sounds.

Coach Bill:

There is always a place to go. Get out of the gym and go somewhere, but do not stick around on the court.

MTD, Sr.

chartrusepengui Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 607387)
Coach Bill:

There is always a place to go. Get out of the gym and go somewhere, but do not stick around on the court.

MTD, Sr.

Yep - and if you can't think of a place to go - ask someone. There's always someone willing to tell you where to go!! :D

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 607365)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 607387)
Coach Bill:

MTD, Sr.

Mark, it's not always practical, to be honest.

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 607384)
dsturdy5:

The Massachusetts Interscholatic Athletic Association has nothing to do with AAU basketball tournaments, therefore, I ask once again, why were the game officials still on the court watching the handshake line.

MTD, Sr.

The other point here, WRT MA basketball, is that this couldn't have been done under their rules. They have stripped the officials of this authority so that once the handshake begins technical fouls cannot be called. (That's how I read their little interpretation from Mary, anyway).