Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 02:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What difference does it make?
You really don't get it? This guy is spouting religion in his official capacity as a principal of a public HS (if it is public - that's why I asked).
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 02:55pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You really don't get it? This guy is spouting religion in his official capacity as a principal of a public HS (if it is public - that's why I asked).
I think that's a stretch, personally. It's a private email and he's not representing the state. Even if it is an "official" correspondence, "God bless you" is hardly spouting religion, IMHO.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:00pm
In Time Out

sending god bless you to one person isn't a big deal. if he did it say, in a school wide email then yeah there would be a problem there. If it is a public school. hopefully the school has stopped whining because they have looked like really sore losers.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'm assuming play was run to that side?
Of course.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I think that's a stretch, personally. It's a private email and he's not representing the state. Even if it is an "official" correspondence, "God bless you" is hardly spouting religion, IMHO.
My guess (at least I hope), is that Mark is not necessarily saying he is upset with the use of the term "God" in that context, but rather that someone will be.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I agree with scrappy. There's nothing in "God Bless You" that "establishes" any religion over another. It's extremely generic; not isolated to any particular faith or denomination. I think you'd be hard pressed to find even an atheist who's offended by it unless they were trolling for a lawsuit.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I agree with scrappy. There's nothing in "God Bless You" that "establishes" any religion over another. It's extremely generic; not isolated to any particular faith or denomination. I think you'd be hard pressed to find even an atheist who's offended by it unless they were trolling for a lawsuit.
Exactly. I'm the biggest church/state separationist you'll meet and that didn't even register on my radar. He's not broadcasting it school-wide, he's not saying anything in the presence of students. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Of course.
Had to ask, I've seen it called miles away.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Mar 20, 2009 at 03:38pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Gee, the kids pay for lunch with "in God we trust" money. I don't think a God bless you is cause for a demonstration.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Wasn't the country built on a Christian understanding?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Wasn't the country built on a Christian understanding?
I fear this is opening up another huge can of worms....but....

No, it was built on religious freedom, whether that means being religious in some way or being free from religion altogether.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

No, it was built on religious freedom, whether that means being religious in some way or being free from religion altogether.
I won't say another word.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Something tells me when Principal Cox's team lost He said "God %$#@*^"
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

You would do well to read more of the writings of the founding fathers; it very much was a Christian ideal at the base of our founding.
Personally, I'm all for enforcing the anti-establishment clause, but I think it's gone a bit far when we would even discuss the use of "God Bless You" in an email signature.

It's not as if he used, "In Jesus' Name." He used a statement 95% of Americans use when someone nearby sneezes.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:07pm
In Time Out

no....... there were framers and many others at the time who wanted religion out which is why we have the establishment clause. but just like then and today there were Christians and those who weren't so some Christian influence but no way should Christianity be considered some sort of founding base for our country.

I wonder if he had wrote that to a single student. School wide yes, but one student...mmm. I think I would still take issue with that but not as big of deal as going on the intercom or something like that. Email outside the school it is fine because most would see it as a generic term.
anyhoo enough about that even though religion, the law and schools are fun to talk about. lots of interesting cases
Closed Thread