The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to be an intramural basketball season this winter at my college (I know - I violated the first rule of officiating - never do rec games). We had an on-floor mechanics clinic tonight, and we covered the ever-present Block/Charge call.

The head official takes the role of defender, and starts showing how a player becomes set to take the charge. He showed a player standing still with both feet on the floor. I then pointed out/gently asked about the defender backing up at the time of contact. The reply: the defender must be set - not moving in any direction at the time of contact.

I then tried to go past the issue by asking if that was just a rule modification for our league. The reply (by several people) was that that is how the rule is at all levels.

Of course, I really started to think I was going insane, and started trying to explain the whole concept of coming set, and then being able to move with the ball-handler (ie., he can move back at the time of contact if he is moving at about the same speed as the offensive player). Still, everyone argued that to take a charge the defender must be fully set with both feet on the floor.

We play NF rules (which I don't think any of them have ever seen a copy of). PLEASE, someone tell me that my interpretation was right!

Also, we have scrimmage training tomorrow, should I try to bring this up again? If so, how would you recommend going about it? Show them the rule and casebook? Or maybe something else?

Sorry about the ranting and raving - this board is just good therapy.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Thumbs up GOOD JOB

You are correct Mark!

Once an initial guarding position has been established, the defender may legally move laterally or backward to maintain his position, and thus, can draw a player control foul while moving.

If you take your casebook tomorrow night, show them 4.23.3 (I am looking at last year's case book, but doubt that the play has been removed.) This should give them a good example that you just might know what you are talking about.

But then again, just remember that Rome was not built in a day.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy In case you don't have it, print this.

Play: B1 has obtained a legal guarding position on A1 and moves to maintain it. A1 moves laterally and contacts defender B1 but does not get his/her head and shoulders past the torso of B1. Contact occurs on the side of B1's torso.

Ruling: Player-control foul by A1. (4-7-2)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 11:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm going to be an intramural basketball season this winter at my college
Way to go, Mark!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down You are losing your mind.

And the only way you are losing your mind is dealing with these idiots. That is a basic definition and if they do not know that, they have problems. You should go back to what you stated about doing those leagues. Leave that crap alone. It will only cause you problems. Especially if you are the only one using the ACTUAL rules.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark,

As everyone has pointed out, your rules application is exactly correct. Your sanity, on the other hand. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Also, we have scrimmage training tomorrow, should I try to bring this up again? If so, how would you recommend going about it? Show them the rule and casebook? Or maybe something else?
Can you talk privately with the guy who was giving the rules "clinic"? If so, you could show him the relevant rule and case. Then he could pass it on to everybody at the next meeting.

If you can't talk privately with him, or if he is not receptive to being corrected, then I don't think that it would be out of line to bring in a copy of case play and/or the rule reference for each of the officials in the league. You could hand it out so everybody could see for himself. Just make a few xeroxed copies.

The only danger is that you could be perceived as a know-it-all or trying to show somebody up. We know that's not true, but you never know who's going to get bent out of shape.

Chuck
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

I think you first should try speaking with the clinic guy, just like the above threads state. If he won't listen to reason, then just go out and call the games the way the rules say to. When the first player objects when you call it correctly, tell him to show you in the rule book where it says the defender cannot move after becoming set. When he says he doesn't have a rulebook, offer to lend him yours and give him the rule and/or case number.

Then let's see what he says.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, all. I think I'm just going to call the game the way the rules are written. If I'm given any grief, oh well! (Newest rule interpretation: travelling - the player with the ball gets two steps - I can't wait to call a violation where he/she doesn't take two steps).

On another rant and rave, a few seasons back, on one of those 'other' boards, there was an official named "T-Less in TN" who claimed that he wanted to give someone a technical foul.

For this, my first season, my goal will be to give the Holy Grail of basketball officiating - the Multiple Foul! (Note: I am completely kidding on this). However, the eternal quest still remains (otherwise it wouldn't be eternal, right?) If anyone sees/hears of a multiple foul, share that knowledge with the world!!

P.S. at least the clinician was right in saying that the 10 second FT violation has never been called in the history of basketball and that there is no such foul as "Over-the-Back." (Although "going over the player's back" is a foul in our rulebook summary.)
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Follow-up

Had the first game tonight. A few minutes in, had the first PC foul as lead.

As soon as the offense realized it was a charge, they start *****ing big time - "But he was MOVING!!"

My response - "Yeah, but he was set."

The other good one - defender B1 set (actually standing still) underneath A's basket. A1 charges into him - easy PC foul on A1. I was wrong, however, because "he was under the basket!"

Once again, the response - "We're not in the NBA!"

At least the other ref supported my calls, and didn't say anything about being stationary.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up NICED JOB MARK!

NFHS "Code of Ethics"....

Officials shall master both the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to enforce the rules, and shall exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.

It sounds like you have to lead by example!