The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   losing team wants ref apology (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52384-losing-team-wants-ref-apology.html)

archangel Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:01am

losing team wants ref apology

T-M urges OHSAA to admit ref's error

Adam Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:07am

Based on the headline: Good grief.

After reading it, this quote says it all:
Quote:

"We have several students, parents, staff members and community members who believe the call at the end of the game was not the proper call," Principal Gerald Cox said, "and that it should not have been made given the particular circumstances — the end of the game; district final; score tied. They just felt that the foul was not blatant enough, flagrant enough.
There is so much wrong with this assessment, I don't need to see the play. I really hope the OHSAA comes out and says it was absolutely the right call.

GoodwillRef Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:10am

Looks like from the tape the defender missed the ball and hit the shooter on the arm...what about #4 waving his arms back and forth on both FT attempts.

Now could the Lead have passed on this call...high certainty foul in the last minutes of game...worst case scenerio we play an extra 4 mintues of basketball...you could make a case for this.

Apology...No!

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:11am

I didn't see any contact.

To others: From 0:00 - 4:30, it is just two teams trading baskets. Skip all that. Start at 4:30 into the video, with the game tied at 51 and 0:06.6 on the clock.

dbking Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:13am

Wow

First, horrible video!

Second, what an article and it's perspective!

Third, losing team got to the line twice for 2 shots with similar contact. The winning team is not whining about those calls.

Send in the cheese!

derwil Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:21am

Looked at the replay...looks OK to me. Defender hit the shooters arm below the wrist. Easy to tell as the ball comes off the hand "funny" and almost missed the backboard.

mbyron Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589261)
Based on the headline: Good grief.

After reading it, this quote says it all:

There is so much wrong with this assessment, I don't need to see the play. I really hope the OHSAA comes out and says it was absolutely the right call.

The OHSAA rep said, correctly, that Ohio explicitly disallows protests. Every issue in a game must be resolved by the officials on the floor. End of story.

Except for local media, which will continue to cover their little "protest rallies" and whatnot.

GoodwillRef Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 589269)
Looked at the replay...looks OK to me. Defender hit the shooters arm below the wrist. Easy to tell as the ball comes off the hand "funny" and almost missed the backboard.

If he would have block the ball the ball would have gone a different direction than it did.

just another ref Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:39am

From the article: "We have several students, parents, staff members and community members who believe the call at the end of the game was not the proper call," Principal Gerald Cox said, "and that it should not have been made given the particular circumstances — the end of the game; district final; score tied. They just felt that the foul was not blatant enough, flagrant enough.

The foul was not blatant/flagrant enough? It would have been okay at other points in the game? The particular circumstances?

I say a bunch of us should gather and throw rocks at this school.

BBall_Junkie Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:42am

Here is the apology...

"I am sorry principal Cox that you are not qualified to accurately assess the quality of a an officiating crew's body of work. Kthanksbye"

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bball_junkie (Post 589280)
"i am sorry principal cox that you are not qualified to accurately assess the quality of a an officiating crew's body of work. kthanksbye"

:d:d too funny!

fullor30 Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 589265)
I didn't see any contact.

To others: From 0:00 - 4:30, it is just two teams trading baskets. Skip all that. Start at 4:30 into the video, with the game tied at 51 and 0:06.6 on the clock.

No contact? look again. Sure looks like it to me, he clearly doesn't get any part of the ball yet the shot(10 footer) is grossly off.

Great call, and the right one.

I originally thought the disputed call was the block foul on black jersey team, I'm assuming they were in the double bonus.

Adam Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:54am

The worst part, to me, is that instead of being able to use this loss as a good lesson; the adults who are in charge are blaming a referee. No, the kids aren't responsible for actually fouling the shooter or not making layups; it's all the ref's fault.

Educational Malpractice.

zm1283 Wed Mar 18, 2009 09:59am

I'm glad the principal told us that wasn't a flagrant foul. I was pretty torn on the issue.

Adam Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 589291)
I'm glad the principal told us that wasn't a flagrant foul. I was pretty torn on the issue.

Nah, he said it wasn't "flagrant enough." Whatever the F*** that means.