The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Looks to me that the school has alot of problems and are trying to blame other people.

I thought it was a great call.
If he hadn't of made it then the other team is going to be doing the same thing. The foul affected the shot, it didn't even hit the rim.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
In real speed from the other end of the court this looked like a foul to me. What kid in a state championship game misses a 12-foot jumper that badly to the right?

The zoom in shows that the defender clearly did NOT hit the ball and makes contact with the shooter's arm.

Protect the shooter. This is a foul. End of story. Tough cookies.

Amazing the lengths that some parents, administrators, and fans will go to to try to make sure that their kids always win. I wish thy would instead take it as an opportunity to tell the kids, "Well, maybe you got screwed, maybe you didn't. Life isn't fair. Pick yourself up and go back out there and do your best."

In this case I don't think it's even close -- it's a foul. Some fans interpret, "The officials shouldn't decide the game" as "The officials should put away their whistles"
Last season, my football crew worked a game that went overtime. On the visiting team's first play from scrimmage, the RB went around the left end who dragged down the defender. U didn't hesitate and threw a holding flag. TD called back, team didn't score, lost game. As the referee, I took 90% of the grief even though I didn't throw the flag.

They rated us a 1 (the lowest rating). They screamed at us as we left the field that you don't make that call in overtime.

They can rate us however they want. Sad thing is that other crews who couldn't hold our knickers (if you're British, that's funny) will be rated higher and actually think they're better officials than us -- mainly because they try to disappear when they hit the field and see how long they can go without making any calls anyone hates.

Far as I'm concerned, that call is MOST important in the key situation and to not call it there means you may as not call it anytime. If you're afraid of a little attention, maybe it's time to stop working the games.

Great job by the lead in the video. No brainer foul. To not call it would be a travesty. And cowardly, IMO (if a deliberate decision to pass on it).
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would be happy if someone acknowledged that perhaps it was not the correct call
I wonder how he would feel if someone acknowledged that perhaps it WAS the correct call. I couldn't tell from 75 feet away, but we protect the shooter and it looks like there might have been some contact. At least it wasn't 83 feet away from the basket where I (gulp) called one a couple of years ago.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last season, my football crew worked a game that went overtime. On the visiting team's first play from scrimmage, the RB went around the left end who dragged down the defender. U didn't hesitate and threw a holding flag. TD called back, team didn't score, lost game. As the referee, I took 90% of the grief even though I didn't throw the flag.

They rated us a 1 (the lowest rating). They screamed at us as we left the field that you don't make that call in overtime.

They can rate us however they want. Sad thing is that other crews who couldn't hold our knickers (if you're British, that's funny) will be rated higher and actually think they're better officials than us -- mainly because they try to disappear when they hit the field and see how long they can go without making any calls anyone hates.

Far as I'm concerned, that call is MOST important in the key situation and to not call it there means you may as not call it anytime. If you're afraid of a little attention, maybe it's time to stop working the games.

Great job by the lead in the video. No brainer foul. To not call it would be a travesty. And cowardly, IMO (if a deliberate decision to pass on it).
I completely agree. I wonder if the losing team somehow thinks it would have been fair to the shooting team if they hadn't called the foul or is every game/call only about them?
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Wow...this is just so low...here's what I would write if my crew had to come up with that letter:

Dear LOSERS,

We hesitantly apologize that our actions were not in line with your demented expectations resulting from a lack of knowledge and understanding of the rules of basketball and the mechanics whereby our actions are arranged. We hope this situation will awaken you to the fact that we are the authorities on the rules as evidenced by our experience and knowledge gained from years of doing the games and all the meetings and testings we've had to endure. Thank you and we hope you get a set of officials next year that will definitely make you forget us!

(Secretly, inside, I'm feeling a bit evil, yet serene!)
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 05:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Wow...this is just so low...here's what I would write if my crew had to come up with that letter:

Dear LOSERS,

We hesitantly apologize that our actions were not in line with your demented expectations resulting from a lack of knowledge and understanding of the rules of basketball and the mechanics whereby our actions are arranged. We hope this situation will awaken you to the fact that we are the authorities on the rules as evidenced by our experience and knowledge gained from years of doing the games and all the meetings and testings we've had to endure. Thank you and we hope you get a set of officials next year that will definitely make you forget us!

(Secretly, inside, I'm feeling a bit evil, yet serene!)
I'll volunteer to supply the envelope and postage stamp!
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 06:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'll volunteer to supply the envelope and postage stamp!
I think you should send it as a Candygram, except with sour grapes.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
"I am sorry principal Cox that you are not qualified to accurately assess the quality of a an officiating crew's body of work. Kthanksbye"
As a former principal, I must say that it is totally unprofessional and uncalled for to have a principal make a public comment about officiating.

He should stick to academics and teaching life lessons like to how to win and lose with dignity and class.

Also, do we still have "disconcerting the FT shooter" in the rules? Check out the guys on the right side of the FT lane.

Last edited by Forksref; Wed Mar 18, 2009 at 07:51pm.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Trotwood-Madison!

Sorry Trotwood-Madison but as I read a very biased article and watch tape of this play I too think your guy fouled him! I am reminded about the first words of every pre-game coaches meeting-"Coaches, sportsmanship starts with you.Coach your kids and not us!" This school should be ashamed of their behavior. Think about this question:"Was it the officials who made your kids miss shots or free throws in this game?Was it the officials who could not come up with a defensive stop late to force the overtime?"No, it was your kids,all they had to do was play straight up fundamental defense and not go for the block. They didn't, your opponent made the free throw, so move on!

Here's an article about a regional game in Southern California where the losing coach did the same thing!

King coach blames refs

12:13 AM PDT on Sunday, March 15, 2009

By JIM ALEXANDER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - It is customary, after being defeated in a big game, to congratulate your opponents, bemoan your own mistakes and downplay any disagreements you might have with the officials.

That may be because in most leagues and associations, when you criticize the refs it costs you money.

Evidently, however, high school basketball coaches aren't subject to getting fined. Or if they are, Riverside King coach Tim Sweeney Jr. has a rainy-day fund he can dip into.

In the wake of his team's 53-39 pasting by LA Westchester in Saturday night's Southern California Division 1 regional final at Pauley Pavilion, Sweeney laid the ultimate responsibility on the officiating crew.

Those three officials, whose names were not listed in the official box score, actually called more fouls on Westchester than they did on King, and the Wolves shot almost twice as many free throws (and missed 10 of 23).

The officials did, however, call a technical foul before the game began, citing sophomore Adam Smith for dunking in warmups.

And as the game wore on and his team slipped further behind, Sweeney received a technical two minutes into the second quarter, and then was ejected before the start of the fourth for what he said was a private conversation involving two of his assistant coaches.

"It's a travesty to play in an event like this and have that happen," Sweeney said afterward, knowing full well his words would be printed.

"Some people should be fired for assigning referees. Why did we even go play these (regional) games this week, is what I ask the state of California. Why did we play the games? We were better off ending it at Mater Dei, if you're not gonna give kids a fair shot. Period."

Sweeney was asked if he'd had problems with those officials before.

"Never," he said. "I want to know who assigns them. I think I know who but I'm not going to say anything.

"First off, they started with a phantom technical foul, on a slam dunk that did not happen. My coach was just standing there. Their guys are down there doing the same layup drill that we are, OK?

"The last technical, on which I got thrown out, my dad (Tim Sweeney Sr.) and Dr. Powers (assistant coach Fred Powers) are standing towards the huddle, and the guy (the official) is standing outside, and they're talking to each other, and they called a technical on them for talking to each other.

"They never gave our kids a chance from the get-go. They never let us play against Westchester. This game was decided before the ball was tipped up tonight, and that's a shame. I never, ever, in my whole career, said a thing in the newspaper about officials. But everybody in here saw it tonight. There was something wrong. There's something wrong with that."

With the naked eye, King's 11-for-43 shooting seemed more of a factor. Or their dismal foul shooting. Or the fact that besides forward Kawhi Leonard (16 points, 12 rebounds, three blocks, three steals), no one else in a white jersey stepped up against a longer, quicker, more athletic Westchester team.

"I don't want to take anything away from Westchester," Sweeney said. "Westchester is a great team and will represent well. Coach (Ed) Azzam and his players should be very proud. But it was not allowed to be decided on the floor tonight."

And just how did the officiating lead to what -- again to the naked eye -- seemed like a woeful effort by King?

"I could not stand up and coach my team because of the (early) technical foul," Sweeney said. "Talk about an unbelievable advantage, communicating to your ballclub. I cannot even begin to explain. I can't call the plays, I can't get up, I can't get them in helpside defense, I can't instruct from sitting from the bench.

"That factor alone, my team knew. The communication factor right from the beginning was just (missing), and then just the whole rhythm and flow of the ballgame was affected before it even went up. Questionable calls to say the least ... not the same on the other end.

"And that's not to take away from Westchester. They did what they needed to do. My team was not tired. It was not fatigue. This was completely a ballclub being taken out of their rhythm of being able to play basketball like they're supposed to be able to play."

But Sweeney's words, while powerful, were also hollow. The scoreboard, after all, never lies.

Reach Jim Alexander at 951-368-9543 or [email protected]

Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I know - you just had to say something, just on principal.
The princiPAL is your PAL. Especially for the players and coaches in this school!
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
The princiPAL is your PAL. Especially for the players and coaches in this school!
I bet you own that one.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

To Whom it May Concern-

I'm sorry to inform you that in the game of basketball, there is a team that must lose and a team that must win. Furthermore, a team is not always fortunate enough to be the team that wins.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post

12:13 AM PDT on Sunday, March 15, 2009

By JIM ALEXANDER
The Press-Enterprise

With the naked eye, King's 11-for-43 shooting seemed more of a factor. Or their dismal foul shooting. Or the fact that besides forward Kawhi Leonard (16 points, 12 rebounds, three blocks, three steals), no one else in a white jersey stepped up against a longer, quicker, more athletic Westchester team.

But Sweeney's words, while powerful, were also hollow. The scoreboard, after all, never lies.

Reach Jim Alexander at 951-368-9543 or [email protected]
Kudos to the author of the article for telling it like it is. This coach should be locked in a closet with Earl Strom's ghost for about 30 minutes. That would take care of him.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Kudos to the author of the article for telling it like it is. This coach should be locked in a closet with Earl Strom's ghost for about 30 minutes. That would take care of him.
Too bad you didn't mention Mendy R. That might have brought JR out of the woodwork...
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Too bad you didn't mention Mendy R. That might have brought JR out of the woodwork...
I think I read in Earl's book that one year, the league (and coaches) wanted him and Mendy to work the entire NBA final series. Incredible.