Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I fear this is opening up another huge can of worms....but....

No, it was built on religious freedom, whether that means being religious in some way or being free from religion altogether.
No, it was built (not founded, see Native Americans) by Puritans. They were quite intolerable to other religions in case you forgot. So I would say, "Founded by religious freedom," would be incorrect.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

High Court May Consider Team Prayers ...

View this link as "for your consideration", or "fuel for the fire":

Case could bar coaches from praying with players | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Disclaimer: See my signature below.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

OHSAA SAID REF DIDN’T VIOLATE ANY RULES OR PROCEDURES

The Ohio High School Athletic Association had two words for Trotwood-Madison High School on Wednesday, March 18.

Case closed.

Trotwood-Madison wanted the OHSAA to acknowledge that referee xxxxxx xxxxxxxx made a mistake by calling a foul with eight-tenths of a second remaining in the Rams’ 52-51 Division I district championship loss to Centerville at UD Arena on Saturday, March 14.

But the governing body of Ohio high school athletics refused that acknowledgment because the official did not violate any rules or procedures.

“If a rule was misinterpreted or an official’s procedure was misapplied, then that is something we would potentially acknowledge,” said Tim Stried, OHSAA’s director of information services. “But this (Trotwood’s complaint) doesn’t have anything to do with that. Several of us watched the video and it’s clear the official thought it was a foul, and that’s the end of the story. It’s over.”

OHSAA bylaws prohibit schools from protesting the outcome of games.

“It’s for this very reason,” Stried said. “If we allowed protests, gosh, we’d have a thousand protests a month from folks who said there was a missed call or a bad call. That’s why we don’t allow for protests. Officials’ decisions at the site are final.”

Trotwood principal Gerald Cox said he addressed his concerns in a letter to the OHSAA, and that he’ll comment after contacting the association.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
No, it was built (not founded, see Native Americans) by Puritans. They were quite intolerable to other religions in case you forgot. So I would say, "Founded by religious freedom," would be incorrect.
Oh good grief...the Puritans founded one small settlement that grew into one of the original 13 colonies. By that time, the majority of the people living in the colony were not Puritans.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The worst part, to me, is that instead of being able to use this loss as a good lesson; the adults who are in charge are blaming a referee. No, the kids aren't responsible for actually fouling the shooter or not making layups; it's all the ref's fault.

Educational Malpractice.

They shouldn't have let it come down to that one call. If they want to blame someone, blame themselves. I'm sure somebody missed a couple of free throws or a layup somewhere that kept them from winning by five or so points.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Oh good grief...the Puritans founded one small settlement that grew into one of the original 13 colonies. By that time, the majority of the people living in the colony were not Puritans.
Thank you for clearing that up before I got back here.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 05:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Only If I Could Find My Rainbow Colored Wig ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Did anyone see that security guard ripping the John 3:16 sign. That was awesome. Who are those losers going around holding the signs. I give them credit for being in the right places to be seen but fu#k them.
I guess I'm like one of those losers that you posted about because I've got "John 3:16", and a cross, tattooed on my upper left arm. And if the moderators want to delete my signature, or part of this post, then so be it. I wouldn't have any problem with that. We enjoy the rights of freedom of speech, and freedom of religion, including the right not to practice any religion, here in the United States, but Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. owns the Forum, and they are free, and have the right, to do whatever they want with their property.

Here's another good bible verse: We know how dearly God loves us, and we feel this warm love everywhere. (Romans 5:5) Maybe it will be my next tattoo?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 05:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

dave30 Should Be An Honorary Mythbuster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
They shouldn't have let it come down to that one call. If they want to blame someone, blame themselves. I'm sure somebody missed a couple of free throws or a layup somewhere that kept them from winning by five or so points.
Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.

Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 12:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Agreed.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:00pm
In Time Out

not you. I have no problem at all with you using the 3:16 in your sig. By losers I didn't mean you. I meant those people in the gym who keep running around holding the signs and clearly have that in mind over watching a game which is why they are removing the signs.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
did anyone see that security guard ripping the John 3:16 sign. That was awesome. who are those losers going around holding the signs. I give them credit for being in the right places to be seen but fu#k them.
Good grief. I'll agree that there are better things to do with their time, more productive things even if they want to evangelize. But your comments are just juvenile, frankly.

Quote:
not you. I have no problem at all with you using the 3:16 in your sig. By losers I didn't mean you. I meant those people in the gym who keep running around holding the signs and clearly have that in mind over watching a game which is why they are removing the signs.
This isn't much better. Why are they "losers?" Because you don't agree with them? While it's certainly within the rights of game management to remove the signs, I have to wonder why.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give Me That Old Time Religion ...

Quote:
Not you. I have no problem at all with you using the 3:16 in your signature. By losers I didn't mean you. I meant those people in the gym who keep running around holding the signs and clearly have that in mind over watching a game which is why they are removing the signs.
mutantducky: I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I'm not, nor have I recently been, upset with you. I just wanted to voice an opinion contrary to your opinion, that's all. Many Forum members are fortunate enough to live in a country where we all have freedom of speech, and freedom of religion, including a freedom to have no religion. Also, although I am proud to be a Christian, I am also tolerant of other religions. And evangelizing is just not my cup of tea. I work with some Muslims, and some Hindus, and we discuss the differences, and similarities, in our different religions all the time, and we are often fascinated with learning something new about a religion other than our own.

Now give this Bible verse a quick read. Although this comes from the Bible, I'm sure that people from many religions, and those who are not religious at all, would fully agree with it's meaning: And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. (Isaiah 58:10)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 02:25pm.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.

Honorary Mythbuster? I'm confused!
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 02:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
Honorary Mythbuster? I'm confused!
NFHS Forum: THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES

Check out the first, and the fourth, post, as well as the last section in the list in the first post.

Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 04:47pm
In Time Out

yeah I didn't mean anything. I'm not anti-Christian or anything. I was just getting tired of the people running around with the John 3 16 signs.
Closed Thread