The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
So you've made that statement to coach & when the opportunity comes up, your partner(s) who doesn't have the same like-mindedness towards officiating, calls the violation... now what?
At half time, after I've cleaned the Firestone marks off my uniform, I'll ***** slap my partner repeatedly until we are on the same page. It's really not that hard.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I know I'm responding kinda late - it's been a busy weekend with weather, family coming over, (family finally leaving...), etc.

I don't know if I'm the "unnamed very veteran official" mentioned in the indictment, (sorry, but I've been reading too much about our "esteemed governor"), but I do know I'm in the camp of not being specific when trying to talk players out of violations during play. I know I've been told many times, in many different situations (camps, games, etc.) to not use color or numbers when talking directly to players during play. I have also had a coach tell me directly, "If you have to tell 54 to get out of the lane, why is it not a violation?" So to avoid having to answer questions like that, I think it's better to be a little vague in those instances: "Keep moving", "Hands off", etc. But in all other situations, by all means use color and number.
In regard to the "hands off" statement to players, I use this too, but I try to say it before they start actively defending their match up. You can usually tell when a player gets into defensive position and the hands start to come up that the player is going to attempt putting a hand(s) on the player.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
They can ask this kind of crap all they want. I couldn't possibly care. Most I'll say is, "You'll get the same down at this end."

Fifteen years ago I would've gone down to the other end and called the first 3-second violation I saw and then blew kisses to the coach, but I'm kinder and gentler now. (And I'm kidding.)
While I agree to a point, the coach does have a legitimate question. Being vague has less of a chance of being questioned.

Once upon a time, I had a coach asking for 3-seconds in the first half on a couple of possesions by the other team. Sure enough, I call one against his team soon after. As I end up in front of him, I said, "Thanks for alerting me to the possibility of that call."

I'm kinder and gentler now as well.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
They can ask this kind of crap all they want. I couldn't possibly care. Most I'll say is, "You'll get the same down at this end."

Fifteen years ago I would've gone down to the other end and called the first 3-second violation I saw and then blew kisses to the coach, but I'm kinder and gentler now. (And I'm kidding.)
Exactly. The moment we stop refereeing the game for the kids, because we become afraid that the other coach will hear us doing it, that is the moment to hang up the whistle and walk away.

Now, when a coach asks me to stop talking to HIS players and just call the violation or foul, that I will oblige. I've had that happen a couple of times.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
So you've made that statement to coach & when the opportunity comes up, your partner(s) who doesn't have the same like-mindedness towards officiating, calls the violation... now what?
The coach will yell at him?

I can only control what I can control. Most of my regular partners call the same way I do, though.

That said, I can't remember telling someone to get out of the lane in the past 4-5 years. I do get on people about contact and post play early and I keep that talk pretty general, although I'm loud enough for them to hear me:

"Easy!"

"Straight up!"

"Knock it off!"

If they don't get the hint after one of these phrases, I'll just call a foul and send a message that way.