The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I kicked it big time -

First game was yesterday JUCO and it was a blow out from the second minute and late in the first half I kicked one of epic proportions.

home team up 30 with less than 2 minutes to play in the first half as the visitors bring the ball across mid court the home coach stands up and walks up to me and asks for a time out to get his 4 subs in.

and I blow the whistle. Immediately realize my mistake, call it inadvertant and give the ball back to the offence without a reset at POI. We gather as a crew and My choice is not to allow the Subs into the game as the defense would gain the desired advantage of the time out.

while it might not be the rule to not allow subs after the Inadvertant Whistle, how ever I think in the spirit of the game it was the right thing to do ( home team was up 30)

issues?
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 05:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's not within the rules, then how do you justify it?

Also, in a blowout, you're saying it's not in the spirit to allow the winning team to put in the scrubs?

If the rules don't allow for it, fine. If the rules do allow for it, I don't get it.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"The Ten Commandments" With Charlton Heston, Now That Was Of Epic Proportions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I kicked one of epic proportions.
Epic proportions? Give yourself a break. It was a blowout game. Your two partners were there with you. Doesn't sound like you had to toss either coach for complaining about the call. Did your evaluator see the mistake and take you out of all your assignments for the rest of the season? I did the same thing in a Catholic school middle school game last season. If that's the worst mistake you make all season long, then you've had a good season.

I know this was an NCAA game, but, here is yet another reason for the NFHS to go back to the old rule where only players on the court could request a time out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

You said this was a JUCO game. Do they use NCAA rules?

If so, I think you may have handled it correctly...I'm under the impression that you don't allow that timeout or subs in the NCAA.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

I believe since there was more than one (1) minute remaining in the game and there was an inadverant whistle, you could have allowed the subs to enter.

If there was less than one minutes all subs must wait until the next opportunity to sub legally.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I know this was an NCAA game, but, here is yet another reason for the NFHS to go back to the old rule where only players on the court could request a time out.
Thanks BillyMac - I didn't take too much heat - I recovered quickly and it didn't effect my calls the rest of the game - which is more important.

Supervisor called afterward with a little spank - but more of a kudo for recovering quickly on the call and the rest of the game.
No fines no loss of games.

I worked with a couple of DI officials and it was great to have the support on the court, in the locker room and in the basketball world, and even on the ref boards.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Think Fast!

This is when you should stop and tie your shoe that mysteriously came untied - and oh yeah since you had to tie your shoe the subs can come on in, no time out granted.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Studied Huntin, Gruntin, And Cave Painting In High School ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonref View Post
This is when you should stop and tie your shoe that mysteriously came untied - and oh yeah since you had to tie your shoe the subs can come on in, no time out granted.
I've done this, with no time out called, during the end of games where the benchwarmers are waiting to get in. As I pass by the coach, I'll say, "Do you want me to get these kids in?", blow the whistle during a "lull" in the action, tie my shoe, and get in the subs, some of whom are very excited to get into a varsity game, and possibly get a point or two, thus getting their name in the box score in the paper. I've been told by veteran officials to just blow the whistle, but I prefer to tie my shoe. I can remember being in the same situation back when I was in high school, and having the clock run all the way down before a substitution opportunity. Very disappointing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've done this, with no time out called, during the end of games where the benchwarmers are waiting to get in. As I pass by the coach, I'll say, "Do you want me to get these kids in?", blow the whistle during a "lull" in the action, tie my shoe, and get in the subs, some of whom are very excited to get into a varsity game, and possibly get a point or two, thus getting their name in the box score in the paper. I've been told by veteran officials to just blow the whistle, but I prefer to tie my shoe. I can remember being in the same situation back when I was in high school, and having the clock run all the way down before a substitution opportunity. Very disappointing.

That doesn't work during an NCAA game, by rule.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

During a Fed game if the official inadvertently calls a timeout for team not in possession, what is the series of events that happens?

This is how I would handle it, hopefully I'm not too far off since this happened the other day in a MS game (with my partner)

Timeout was called for team B by the partner. He goes to the bench...signals the timeout and starts the timeout appropriately...coach for Team A comes storming out onto the court and asks "Why were they given a timeout, they didn't have the ball?"...My partner then realized what he just did (I knew it immediately lol)...I went over to the team's bench and explained that play was erroneously stopped for a timeout. We have an inadvertent whistle. By rule, we allow the granted timeout and resume at the point of interruption. It will be your ball (team A) at *pointed the the POI*. Like we've always said, he just wanted to be listened to. He calmed right down when I got over there. Probably because I don't speak louder than a whisper while talking with coaches

-Josh
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

You got it right.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You got it right.
Thanks Bob. I wish I could get others in my association to join this website. I learn something new everyday and then at the meetings I bring up the interesting things I've found. I believe they think that I sit at home reading the rule book when I'm not officiating.

-Josh
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Blame your high school coach for that. In blowouts, if I want to get subs in and not make them wait, I'll call timeout and send them immediately back on the court and inform the refs it was just a substitution timeout, so the other coach knows I'm not calling timeout up by 30 to run up the score. In blowouts, I always have timeouts left. If the losing team is running four-corners down by 30, then maybe I'll give a foul to get them in, but that's never happened.