View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've done this, with no time out called, during the end of games where the benchwarmers are waiting to get in. As I pass by the coach, I'll say, "Do you want me to get these kids in?", blow the whistle during a "lull" in the action, tie my shoe, and get in the subs, some of whom are very excited to get into a varsity game, and possibly get a point or two, thus getting their name in the box score in the paper. I've been told by veteran officials to just blow the whistle, but I prefer to tie my shoe. I can remember being in the same situation back when I was in high school, and having the clock run all the way down before a substitution opportunity. Very disappointing.
Blame your high school coach for that. In blowouts, if I want to get subs in and not make them wait, I'll call timeout and send them immediately back on the court and inform the refs it was just a substitution timeout, so the other coach knows I'm not calling timeout up by 30 to run up the score. In blowouts, I always have timeouts left. If the losing team is running four-corners down by 30, then maybe I'll give a foul to get them in, but that's never happened.