The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
Help, I think we kicked one....

Late in game team A is fouled shooting a three. Team A goes to line and shoots the first two free throws without any of team B players on the freethrow blocks. I realize our screw up and have team B occupy the bottom spots. Should there be a technical assesed or just a delay of game warning??? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 89
I'll give this one a shot. I believe the rule is, you go ahead and shoot the free throw, if it's missed, you call a lane violation, if it's made, then no harm. i think then you're supposed to give the team a warning for delay of game, and if they don't immediately occupy the spots, it's a technical foul. However, since you didn't catch it until after the second free throw, I'm not sure there's much you can do except put em on the lane. I'm not sure you can punish a team for something that you should have caught right away, instead of after the second free throw.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
Late in game team A is fouled shooting a three. Team A goes to line and shoots the first two free throws without any of team B players on the freethrow blocks. I realize our screw up and have team B occupy the bottom spots. Should there be a technical assesed or just a delay of game warning??? thanks
If Team B fails to occupy the bottom spaces, you order them to do so. If they refuse, it's a technical foul. No delay of game warning, no shotting the FT, no violation. Technical foul.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 11:38pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks
I'll give this one a shot. I believe the rule is, you go ahead and shoot the free throw, if it's missed, you call a lane violation, if it's made, then no harm. i think then you're supposed to give the team a warning for delay of game, and if they don't immediately occupy the spots, it's a technical foul.
That's only when the resuming play procedure is in effect.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 89
oh yes, the resumption of play procedure, I knew there was something about that.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
order them to do so. If they refuse, it's a technical foul.
You might cite rules support here, because the only place I see a penalty for failure to occupy is in 9, not in 10.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 02:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 71
God bless FIBA.....
If they are not occupying the spot - it does not matter!
__________________
My refereeing ability is only as good as you think that it is!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 06:39am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
You might cite rules support here, because the only place I see a penalty for failure to occupy is in 9, not in 10.
Case book play 10.1.5SitC(b) is the exact play. You can't get any better rules support than that.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
Unfortnantly no team delay warning was administerd, so under the rule we could not of assesed a technical. I'll chaulk it up to brain dead officiating.......
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 07:38am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
Unfortunately no team delay warning was administered, so under the rule we could not of assessed a technical. I'll chalk it up to brain dead officiating.......
Didn't you even bother to read case book play 10.1.5SitC(b)? Under the rules, you sureasheck CAN assess a technical foul. In this particular, there is no prerequisite of having a team delay warning in the scorebook before issuing the technical foul. Directing a team to fill the bottom slots is not an official delay warning.

If you didn't catch it before the 2 FT's though, you can't go back and call retroactive "T"s.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
I'll chaulk it up to brain dead officiating.......
More of a brain cramp.......it happens.
__________________
"Thinking strikes, thinking outs!!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Didn't you even bother to read case book play 10.1.5SitC(b)? Under the rules, you sureasheck CAN assess a technical foul. In this particular, there is no prerequisite of having a team delay warning in the scorebook before issuing the technical foul. Directing a team to fill the bottom slots is not an official delay warning.

If you didn't catch it before the 2 FT's though, you can't go back and call retroactive "T"s.
I did read the case book.....We did not catch it until after the second made free throw. Normally I would of asked the team to fill spots......then penalized from there
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
I did read the case book.....We did not catch it until after the second made free throw. Normally I would of asked the team to fill spots......then penalized from there
You wrote "Unfortunately no team delay warning was administerd,..."

There is no warning for delay of game. That's what Jurassic is saying.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
I understand, I just believe I shoulder the responsability for not at least reminding player to fill spots.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Look, you erred by not requiring the lane spots to be filled for the first 2 FT's. Fine, your bad. Now, you caught it, so order them in, and if they fail to comply, it's a T.

No retro-active T for not having filled them earlier: the T is for failing to comply, not for failing to fill the lane spots.

But you don't "owe" anyone anything when you make a mistake. It's part of the game (but part you can work every day to minimize).
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I kicked it. Hartsy Basketball 20 Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:59am
Blocked Kicked Sooner75 Football 16 Mon Aug 07, 2006 03:42pm
I know I kicked it..... WeekendRef Basketball 17 Wed Oct 13, 2004 05:13pm
Kicked a T? rainmaker Basketball 3 Tue Dec 09, 2003 02:09am
kicked a call! Doug Basketball 17 Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:29am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1