The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had JV girls tonight, and stayed to watch a little varsity. I must say, I wasn't overly impressed with the one guy who is (I heard) a college official. He never took his eyes off the ball, and missed a couple very nasty illegal screens. Oh, well. But I think he also kicked a technical, and I want to get it straight in my own mind. I didn't talk to him about it, and I don't intend to correct him, although I did send an e-mail to ask (only ask) about the situation.

Black dribbling up court against a heavy press. Dribbler scoops up the ball, jumps and passes. Defender deflects the ball oob. Dead ball to black. Table buzzes. There's some discussion, a black player looks at her shirt as the refs discreetly try not to point at her chest. I heard one ref say something about a technical. White shoots two shots with the lane cleared, and then...

ref gives ball to black at the POI!!

Assuming, as I am, that this was an administrative technical, the ball should have gone to white at the division line, correct?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I think Fed and NCAA are the same on this...

On a regular technical (direct and indirect) during a dead ball, I believe the correct procedure is to shoot the FT's and pick up where you were when the T was called - in this case, black ball at the spot where the ball went out of bounds.

Unless I'm missing something here...

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Dec 9th, 2003 at 12:12 AM]
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Point of Interruption.

There is no POI at the FED level as it relates to Ts. That is only an NCAA or NBA baby. All Ts at the FED level, go opposite the table at the division line, no matter what kind of T it is. Admiinistrative, Team, Player or Coach or even Bench Personnel. All of them got to the divison line, opposite the table.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Ah yes...

Lots of subtle, but tricky differences between NCAA and Fed, as I'm discovering...