Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question Interrupted dribble and OOB

I was perusing the rules (06/07 rules) and read:

Art. 6... During an interrupted dribble:
a. A closely guarded count shall not be started or shall be terminated.
b. A player-control foul cannot be committed.
c. A time-out request shall not be granted.
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble

d. has me wondering, can a dribbler, when an interupted dribbler ocurrs and while touching OOB touch/tip the ball? d. seems to indicate he can. Is there a rule or case play indicating this is illegal?
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

During an interrupted dribble a player is not in control nor touching the ball therefore it is not a violation when they step OOB.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble

d. has me wondering, can a dribbler, when an interupted dribbler ocurrs and while touching OOB touch/tip the ball? d. seems to indicate he can. Is there a rule or case play indicating this is illegal?
If a player is dribbling, it's an OOB violation if the player touches OOB, even if s/he isn't physically touoching the ball at the moment s/he touches OOB.

It's that part that "doesn't apply."
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I re-read the dribble definition, "bat or push to the floor". The interrupted dribbler can not touch or bat the ball to the floor without it being a dribble, however they could tip/bat the ball to a teammate, or the ball could bounce off of them (leg or hip) for example while touching OOB.

(I know this is very unlikely in developed ball players.) I am just wondering.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:42pm
Ch1town

Are you asking that if during an interrupted dribble, the dribbler attempts to recover the ball but is standing on an OOB while simultaneously touching/tipping the ball... is that legal?

As in A1 while dribbling momentarily loses the ball. While attempting to recover the ball A1 is standing on a OOB line & contacts the ball?
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If a player is dribbling, it's an OOB violation if the player touches OOB, even if s/he isn't physically touoching the ball at the moment s/he touches OOB.

It's that part that "doesn't apply."
Bob, I am familiar with the dribbler touching OOB being a violation whether they are touching the ball and OOB at the same time or not. But 6 d does not say "Rule xx does not apply, it say "Out-of-bounds violation" does not apply.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...or the ball could bounce off of them (leg or hip) for example while touching OOB.
Which would cause and official to blow his/her whistle, raise an open palm to the sky, followed by a point and poclamation of a color other than that worn by the dribbler.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 03:56pm.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Are you asking that if during an interrupted dribble, the dribbler attempts to recover the ball but is standing on an OOB while simultaneously touching/tipping the ball... is that legal?

As in A1 while dribbling momentarily loses the ball. While attempting to recover the ball A1 is standing on a OOB line & contacts the ball?
See post #4 in this thread.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:52pm
Ch1town

that's what thought you were asking & in that case see post #7
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Which would cause and official to blow his/her whistle, raise an open palm to the sky, followed by a point and poclamation of a color other than that worn by the dribbler.
Where do the rules say you are correct in making that call in light of the 6d exception?
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 04:03pm
Ch1town

7-1-2(a) 1
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I re-read the dribble definition, "bat or push to the floor". The interrupted dribbler can not touch or bat the ball to the floor without it being a dribble, however they could tip/bat the ball to a teammate, or the ball could bounce off of them (leg or hip) for example while touching OOB.

(I know this is very unlikely in developed ball players.) I am just wondering.

Quote:
Where do the rules say you are correct in making that call in light of the 6d exception?
A person who is standing OOB (except during a throw-in) commits a violation when they touch the ball. There is no exception to that rule.

The exception you are referencing does not over-ride that fundamental rule.

The exception you are referencing is there to differentiate from a dribbler who voluntarily goes OOB in betweens bats.

You are over-thinking the rule.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A person who is standing OOB (except during a throw-in) commits a violation when they touch the ball. There is no exception to that rule.

The exception you are referencing does not over-ride that fundamental rule.

The exception you are referencing is there to differentiate from a dribbler who voluntarily goes OOB in betweens bats.

You are over-thinking the rule.
I am not over thinking this rule. I know what is intended by this rule. I should have worded my original question differently. My only question was:
Is there a rule or case play indicating this is illegal? Since no one came up this one that did not include OOB violation, which 6d says is excluded, I chalk this up to a minor error in the rules.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

It is, perhaps, a little vaguely worded. But I it seems that most of us understand that it's referring to 9-3-1 Note ("The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.").

Perhaps if it were worded thus: "d. The former dribbler does not commit an out-of-bounds violation if he/she steps on our outside a boundary while not touching the ball (See 9-1-3 Note)."
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 06:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I am not over thinking this rule. I know what is intended by this rule. I should have worded my original question differently. My only question was:
Is there a rule or case play indicating this is illegal? Since no one came up this one that did not include OOB violation, which 6d says is excluded, I chalk this up to a minor error in the rules.

6d does not say a player with OOB status can touch the ball. The exception refers to a player leaving court who is not in contact with the ball.