The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Girls JV game last night. A1 is dribbling in the front court and dribbles the ball off her foot and loses control. She chases the ball down and picks it up with both hands and dribbles again. No defensive player has touched the ball. Am I correct in assuming that even though there is no player control during an interrupted dribble (4-15-5) that A1 is still considered a "dribbler" for purposes of 9-5? So that when she grabbed the ball it ended her dribble and thus a double dribble in this situation?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Yep.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

3/5/10 second counts

I don't have my rule book with me and I'm trying to remember which counts, if any, we continue during an interrupted dribble.

I believe for the 3 Seconds in the lane we do not continue the count. Am I correct?

For the 5 Seconds closely guarded count, I believe we stop or do not initiate the count during an interrupted dribble. Correct?

For the 10 Seconds, I believe we continue the count. Correct?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: 3/5/10 second counts

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I believe for the 3 Seconds in the lane we do not continue the count. Am I correct?
I was going to be a smart-dexter and say that you should never have a 3-second count anyway. But I decided not to say that.

The serious answer is that the rule was changed a year or two ago so that the 3-second count does continue during an interrupted dribble. Since there is still team control, the count continues for consistency's sake.

Quote:
For the 5 Seconds closely guarded count, I believe we stop or do not initiate the count during an interrupted dribble. Correct?

Yup.

Quote:
For the 10 Seconds, I believe we continue the count. Correct?
Yup.