The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
One of the NFHS test questions was this, "The three second violation continues during an interrupted dribble." I am getting old but I am convinced that this rule was changed during the last 2 years and that indeed, the count does continue during an interrupted dribble.

After the test, here is what I found in the Basketball Simplified and Illustrated page 60, 9-7:

"The three-second lane restriction applies only when the ball is in A's frontcourt and only while Team A is in control as in (2) (also includes an interrupted dribble)."

The ruling here indicates that the count does continue during an interrupted dribble. I even called this during a game this week.

However, in the 03-04 NFHS Basketball Case manual, page 67, 9.7.2, note the following:

"However, there is no three-second count during rebounding action or during a throw-in or interrupted dribble."

This ruling states clearly that there is no count during an interrupted dribble. There is no clarification of this rule 9.7 in the Rules Manual on page 57. It sure seems like there was a rules change in the last two years that continued the count during an interrupted dribble but I can't find it. What do you guys think? Am I misreading one of these seemingly contradictory statements?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just an editorial screw-up, Chayce. The rule did change. The editors just missed one spot in the casebook where they were supposed to remove the old wording.

If you're counting, then you keep counting during an interrupted dribble.