The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
With all due respect, that's boolsh!t! If they didn't call the "T", I might agree with it.

The officials were concentrating on the play. That's what they're supposed to be doing. If they miss a TO call out that was out of their vision, too bad. Having that happen occasionally is a byproduct of a rule that was never well thought out in the first place.
I call boolsh!t on your boolsh!t Bank on an early game for those 3 officials who didn't see the coach asking for a time-out way before that coach decided to use the other coaching box too. Officials in a 3-person crew can concentrate on the play and still have enough awareness and peripheral vision to see a time-out request, especially in a situation where it's expected.

The rule is what it is. We have to deal with it.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I call boolsh!t on your boolsh!t Bank on an early game for those 3 officials who didn't see the coach asking for a time-out way before that coach decided to use the other coaching box too.
Yeah, you may be right. Maybe someone should have anticipated the TO

But that does not grant the coach the right to waltz into his opponent's box.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Missing the TO might very well get these officials an early next game. However, after further review, I'm pretty sure ignoring the T will only make their predicament worse.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Missing the TO might very well get these officials an early next game. However, after further review, I'm pretty sure ignoring the T will only make their predicament worse.
Completely agree.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Bank on an early game for those 3 officials who didn't see the coach asking for a time-out way before that coach decided to use the other coaching box too.
As I said before, I agree fully with ScrappyDoo's post #18. There are situations where the officials can NOT be expected to immediately get and confirm a TO request, and this might be one of them.

You can't fault the officials imo for missing a TO request under certain conditions. You can fault the officials if they let a coach away with being so far out of their box though.

Gonna have to agree to disagree, Z.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gonna have to agree to disagree, Z.
That's why they call it a discussion board.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That's why they call it a discussion board.
Z, are you saying that you wouldn't call the T??? Or just that someone should have seen the coach earlier - before he ended up in the next county?

If you're saying the first - what justification are you using?

If you're saying the second (which I think you are) then I agree, but we still have to call the T. Once they cross that county line, all bets are off.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Z, are you saying that you wouldn't call the T??? Or just that someone should have seen the coach earlier - before he ended up in the next county?

If you're saying the first - what justification are you using?

If you're saying the second (which I think you are) then I agree, but we still have to call the T. Once they cross that county line, all bets are off.
Rockyroad,

I'd call the T and then call my wife to tell her that I'd be home real early from the tournament. My partners would do the same.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Rockyroad,

I'd call the T and then call my wife to tell her that I'd be home real early from the tournament. My partners would do the same.
Agreed...and if I was one of your partners, I'd buy you a beer before you left as my way of saying "Sorry, partner."
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Agreed...and if I was one of your partners, I'd buy you a beer before you left as my way of saying "Sorry, partner."
At that point, I might need more than one.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 07:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Coach! Get back in the box!

Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I have found that the most successful officials are the ones who can accurately apply the rules. This includes realizing there are "gray" areas of the rulebook subject to interpretation.
Yeah, what to do when the coach is 35 feet out of the box really is one of the gray areas in the rules
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, when asked during pre-game if i have any more questions, I usually tell the officials that since my voice naturally lacks volume, I dont yell very much unless its to request a time out. I also tell them if they dont hear me right away, they might see me jumping up and down screaming and waving my arms like a crazy man.

If i were to run towards an official to try to get their attention to get a Time out, i certainly would not run to the official all the way at the other end of the court because:
#1 risk of a Technical foul
#2 Im lazy and that's a long run
#3 there is usually a ref closer to me that I wont have to run on to the court to get his attention, and i've noticed that if an official realizes that they didnt realize a coach was calling for a TO right away, they will grant it ASAP and usually explain to their partner that was pre-occupied with watching the triple-team that a TO was requested PRIOR to the turnover (being 40+ feet away from the play, watching the other players on the court, and realizing late that the coach had been trying to request a Time out, that official that is away from the ball will usually give you the benefit of the doubt on the sequence of events)

so if i WERE to run 50 or so feet across the court in front of the opposing bench, as a coach i am probably expecting a techincal foul...