The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Coach goes after visiting coach

Stupid as it may sound, a 6th grade boys game. I was calling the game alone, waiting for my co-official to show. During the first quarter, the home team is up 25-0. Into the second quarter the home team is still full court pressing. It's 35-0 and very few fouls. My arms are about to fall off, from the closely guarded counts. Home team secures a rebound and the coach calls for time. As I blow the whistle and point to the home team for the time. He doesn't look at me, but heads to the visitors bench and at a quick pace. After the AD stepped in between the two coaches and diffused the situation, I found out what happened. Evidently the visiting coach said something about the full court press with him being down 35. Home coach didn't like it.

I thought about the incident on the way home tonite. I didn't know what was going on, until it was over. I wondered if my doing nothing was the proper thing. Game management did their thing. I guess I could have stuck the home coach for leaving the bench area. Maybe letting the AD handle it was the best thing.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
Game management did their thing. I guess I could have stuck the home coach for leaving the bench area. Maybe letting the AD handle it was the best thing.
First, that's a quality AD. Thank goodness.

Secondly, I'd have stuck the home coach in a heartbeat. He's the one pressing while up 35-0 in a 6th grade game. It doesn't excuse the V coach saying something to him, but the fact that he went down to physically confront the V coach called for a T at minimum, and perhaps a flagrant T depending on what happened.

All IMO, of course.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The AD had your back. Your partner did not. If he ever did show, I'd have made him sign over the check.

And it was 4 o'clock in England--tea time.