The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

On Friday, January 25 at El Rancho School. At halftime, I walked up the official and asked him to watch an El Rancho player, he responded by asking me if I was a new coach at Pioneer High School. I said "yes, this is my frist year," and he responded by telling me "you're a new coach in the league and you have to earn our respect, so you get the calls we give you."
As a head coach I know and feel that the team is being treated unfairly by the official in the league by their actions in this incident as well as other before. My main concern is that the team is being cheated by the officials who refuse to respect a coach simply because he is new. Although I am the new head coach at Pioneer High School, I have been involved in the league for ten years and know that the Long Beach division officials CAN do their job well. I feel every official should be fair, accurate, and consistent regardless of a coach's experience, reputation, or seniority.
Should I send this to the assigner, or is this going to hurt me for my last three games or even next year?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoach31
I walked up the official and asked him to watch an El Rancho player
Only God knows if you are who you say you are.

But, I'll bite; everybody here probably takes turns answering these; sharing the load...

Did it ever occur to you to the official is ALWAYS watching ALL ten players? And, that you have questioned his competence? So, he isn't going to care about your problem. Why? Because five minutes later, Coach B comes in to tell him to watch 2 of your players.

So, he just watches 'em all, and calls 'em as he sees 'em.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

I am sorry this official said that to you. It gives the appearance of bias based on longevity in the league. I think it was unprofessional of that official to make those remarks. You might want to talk to your AD about it and let him bring it up with the assignor.

On the flip side, I would like to know how you approached the official. Was it done in a respectful manner? Was it confrontational? On what do you base your perception that your team is being cheated? Are you getting different calls in similar situations than the other team?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

This Attitude Makes Me Puke

If the comments made by the official are correct, I am embarrased to call him an officiating brother. IMHO, officials who exhibit this "holier than thou" attitude are why so many coaches think that we're way too arrogant. Some guys put on the stripes and think they own the world. If I ever get this way, I hope somebody knocks me off my pedestal.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If a Coach respectfully asks me to watch a certain player,
I will listen, say ok, than continue to ref as I did before.
However, I will keep 1/2 an eye on that player to see if the concerns are justified. In no way do I feel that c coach is questioning my competency if done properly.
The comments made by that official are inappropriate and there is no defending them!
Slider, so you're saying that everytime a player or coach asks you to watch for a push or hold, they are calling you incompetent? Lighten up! JMO
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Somehow I think there is more to the story than what we're getting here. However..if it did happen exactly like that, the official is WAY out of line. Even if the ref was kidding, those comments are inappropriate.

Z
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:38am
Esteemed Participant

It doesn't really matter how the coach approached the official, or what tone of voice was used in the request...one of the first things we as officials need to learn is that we are ALWAYS to be professional - regardless of how others act or behave...a simple request gets a "Sure thing, coach" or "We'll try, coach"... a yelling request might be dealt with differently, but still as a professional...this official - if this is true - was way out of line...

dj
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

JCoach31, You will find most officials have a great respect for coaches. I would suggest if you have a problem with a opponent doing something specifically illegal, then let the official know the specific action of the player. more then once i have had a player tell me she is being held by the jersey. This is specific and i will try watch for this action. If a coach says watch player #31. I will say OK coach. Then i will just call my game. I don't have a problem with you going to the assigner. However, if you talk to the assigner, make sure you include you actions in the 1st half. While there is no condoning what this official said under any circumstances, i am assuming the official will have another side to this story.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I was indulging in hyperbole.

I too believe the official's comments were inappropriate.

What I wanted to get across to JCoach31 was that working the ref won't help 99% of the time, and back-fires many times because it pisses the ref off.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Slider, I agree in most cases working the official doesn't work. But 99%? I've seen it work all tooo often. Thats why coaches work officials. I don't have a problem with coaches working me, in fact i expect it. If he crosses the line or i've had enough I give the stop sign, next a T. And we start over with equal respect after the T.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Thank you coach.... period.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

what the official said was way out of our code of ethics. It was not right, under NO circumstances should that have ever been a response. My question to you is, was the confrontation w/ the official respectful? Why do you think that official responded the way he did? I would contact your ad and talk to him about it. JMO

From the official and coach's standpoint (have done both, but prefer officiating)you should not confront an offical on the petty stuff, don't sweat it. THe thing that looses my respect for a coach the fastest, is when they start bit***** about the petty stuff, and then when they have a legit comment, I don't take it as seriously as I would if you hadn't been talking my ear off the whole game. Good luck in you coaching, it can be very rewarding

Doug

[Edited by Doug on Jan 31st, 2002 at 06:29 PM]
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

The first clue is that the "coach" never replies back. same as when a stupid fan, real or otherwise on the other board never responds to our comments. He is either not real or has just vented and gone, either way, who cares.