Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
"That's TWO you missed today blue!!"

Would you eject him on the spot?

thanks

bossman
No-I would not eject him on the spot.
Is coach talking to you or your partner? (You are both "Blue"). Is the comment following a "heated" discussion or just coach trying to "work" you or your partner?
IMO: If you are on "edge" where the comment makes you think "toss the coach", you will most likely "toss" many coaches.
Sam
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

there is no reason to eject a coach for this. I would not respond, but i have heard others simply say something to the effect of "no, your batter just missed two great pitches." It is the coaches job to keep me on my toes. If he really thinks my zone is a bit off, i would appreciate some constructive criticism. It is when the coach says "get some glasses, you blind piece of crap" that i give him the warning. Two strikes and you are out law is easily applied to verbal dissent.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

"It is the coaches job to keep me on my toes."

Are you brand new?

"If he really thinks my zone is a bit off, i would appreciate some constructive criticism."

Hunh?

"It is when the coach says "get some glasses, you blind piece of crap" that i give him the warning."

Now I know you're just being silly.

Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

thanks

bossman
"Coach, you won't be around to count to four."

--Rich
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

ok thanks guys. i just wanted some opinions. i was leaning toward letting it go anyways.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

thanks

bossman
That's a pet peave for me. But it would be rare and depend on the circumstances that it would be met with an ejection. Usually, I tell him, "Counting my mistakes is your first mistake. You won't get two!"

Mike
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Usually, I tell him, "Counting my mistakes is your first mistake. You won't get two!"
when you tell him this, do you absolutely eject him when he gets to two?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Usually, I tell him, "Counting my mistakes is your first mistake. You won't get two!"
Absolutely. A warning that is ignored by the coach is his problem. If it is ignored by me, it becomes my problem.

Mike
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Absolutely. A warning that is ignored by the coach is his problem. If it is ignored by me, it becomes my problem.

Mike
Amen Mike. You give a coach a warning and don't live up to it then you lose credability and probably total control of the ball game.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

ANY warning that is not heeded by the coach should be an ejection. Otherwise, any further warnings you give to anyone have no effect.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
there is no reason to eject a coach for this. I would not respond, but i have heard others simply say something to the effect of "no, your batter just missed two great pitches." It is the coaches job to keep me on my toes. If he really thinks my zone is a bit off, i would appreciate some constructive criticism. It is when the coach says "get some glasses, you blind piece of crap" that i give him the warning. Two strikes and you are out law is easily applied to verbal dissent.
Wow!!!!!

You new umpires out there read and re-read Phillips.Alex post because it's an example of what "not" to do.

1. It's not the coaches job to keep the umpire of their toes. You keep youself on your toes or you'll have a bad game.
2. Don't let the coach give you 'constructive' criticism regarding your strike zone. You do that then you might have two different strike zones for each game.
3. When the coach say's anything to you that begins with "You..." toss him at once, unless he says "You are the best umpire I have ever seen, it is an honor to have you work this game". Come to think of it I might toss him for saying that too, depending on his attitude.

Back to the original subject. I had a coach one game that said "Allan, that's the second bad call you've made this game", I said "Coach, let me know when the bad call count gets to 5" He never mentioned it again. Wait, maybe I didn't make any more mistakes :-)

[Edited by Justme on Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:03 AM]
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
It is the coaches job to keep me on my toes. If he really thinks my zone is a bit off, i would appreciate some constructive criticism.
think about this though. who is he to tell you anything about umpiring? sure, hes a coach, and maybe he knows the game, but does he know umpiring? the answer is no, in almost all cases (99.999%). i dont think a police officer would appreciate it if you pulled over to the side of the road and told them how to aim their radar gun at passing cars. you dont know how to do it, you arent trained to do so.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok thanks guys. i just wanted some opinions. i was leaning toward letting it go anyways.
Hold on here. DON'T just let it go. It needs to be addressed. I suggest what Rich said.

The key is to ensure that the coach and EVERYBODY else knows you heard it and that any more bull**** like that will lead to an ejection.

The biggest problem with game management is that we fail to manage it early. Then, once we finally do, its too late.

Blaine