Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question Too Many "T's"?

5 in December.

2 January.

2 so far in February ( 3 games )

I'd rather not call a "T" but it seems to me, I am being put into positions where it is hard to avoid.

Allow me to explain.

I don't recall all 5 from December, but what I do remember is a disrespectful player warned twice and continued. "T"

A coach yelling to incite the crowd, "T"

A coach violating the 20 second time to replace a player. He insisted that he had 30 seconds, not 30. he was wrong. "T"

January - 2 in one game. Coach tossed. 1st quarter visitor down by 10, 10- 0, Coach made a reference to me that I was cheating his team. I told him, we weren't he again, said that we were. I said, "coach, we are calling what we see" He insisted that we were cheating him and his team "T". 4th quarter, a no call by my partner in the lane, I am trail, coach jumps up and yells " YOU CAN'T CALL A FOUL RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE??????" "T" gone.

February- Game 1- coach out of box yelling at my partner ( 20 feet out past the scorers table,) I warn him to get back in the box, he yells at me about the "no call" I give him a call "T "

Tonight- Visitors down in a game that they won by 20 at home. I call a walk, good call, he yells. I call a foul on an attempted block shot, he goes ballistic. I warn him and he continues to yell. I warn him again that one more out burst and he will be sitting. A few plays later, his #23 receives the ball just inside the 3 point line in full stride ( big guy 6'5 or so, Athletic ) I call a walk, he is not put the ball on the floor and shot a lay up. He calls a time out. During the time out he is berating me for "cheating his team" I ask him if he is questioning my integrity. He says "Just stop cheating my team" , I said "coach I don't want to hear that again", He says " Then stop cheating my team" "T".

Am I thin skinned? I don't think so. But 9 "T's" that seems to be a lot.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Why do people agonize over T's? They are a part of the game. Just do your job, call them when needed and you'll live a much less stressful existence.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I think they are good calls. But no one else in my assoication has more than 2 or 3. Just wondering.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My only thought is that you let too many "cheating my team" comments go.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I know and I agree, I really was trying to aviod the "T". If I only had 2 "T's for the season, It would have been a "T" on the first or second time for certain. It was a very good game. 1 point in the end. The shooter for the "T" hit one of 2. It was called with about 4 minutes left in the 4th Q
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

If you are running into that much unsporting behavior and nobody else has any T's the issue is with your association and not you.

I'm guessing everyone else is too thick skinned and you are the only one TCB.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

You T'd a coach over 10 lousy seconds? I'm sure your discussion "do not - do too" was longer.

"Coach, I am confident you're cheating your team much more than I by doing such a lousy job of coaching."
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 05:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I don't recall all 5 from December, but what I do remember is a disrespectful player warned twice and continued. "T"

. 1st quarter visitor down by 10, 10- 0, Coach made a reference to me that I was cheating his team. I told him, we weren't he again, said that we were.

February- Game 1- coach out of box yelling at my partner ( 20 feet out past the scorers table,) I warn him to get back in the box, he yells at me about the "no call" I give him a call "T "

Tonight- Visitors down in a game that they won by 20 at home. I call a walk, good call, he yells. I call a foul on an attempted block shot, he goes ballistic. I warn him and he continues to yell. I warn him again that one more out burst and he will be sitting. A few plays later, his #23 receives the ball just inside the 3 point line in full stride ( big guy 6'5 or so, Athletic ) I call a walk, he is not put the ball on the floor and shot a lay up. He calls a time out. During the time out he is berating me for "cheating his team" I ask him if he is questioning my integrity. He says "Just stop cheating my team" , I said "coach I don't want to hear that again", He says " Then stop cheating my team" "T".

Am I thin skinned?
Thin-skinned? Hardly. Your problem is that you take way too much crap. No wonder coaches are testing you. You don't follow-up on your warnings.

Just call the "T"s if they're justified and quit worrying about them. As Dan said, they're just another call.

Btw, if a coach is 20 feet past the scoring table yapping at the officials, that ain't a warning. That's automatic.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Thin-skinned? Hardly. Your problem is that you take way too much crap. No wonder coaches are testing you. You don't follow-up on your warnings.

Just call the "T"s if they're justified and quit worrying about them. As Dan said, they're just another call.

Btw, if a coach is 20 feet past the scoring table yapping at the officials, that ain't a warning. That's automatic.
Amen, brother.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

I don't think you call too many. I think the others in your association must call too few.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 07:28am
Huck Finn

From reading your post I wonder if your 9 Ts should actually be 19.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 07:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
You T'd a coach over 10 lousy seconds? I'm sure your discussion "do not - do too" was longer.

"Coach, I am confident you're cheating your team much more than I by doing such a lousy job of coaching."
If handled right, there is no "do not, do too." Coach says he has thirty seconds, I say, "Rule change. Give me a sub." Walk away. Sub not there by second horn, WHACK HIM. He's doing it to defy you.

I remember a game from 2002. Coach insisted he had ONE MINUTE to bring in a sub. "Nope, high school rule is 30 seconds." Walked away. No sub by second horn, I would've whacked him. Didn't have to as I got a sub right away.

As for too many technicals, I can't answer that. I've had 2 this season, both on players. I've been on the court when a varsity head coach got one (it's rare when a coach gets one and I'm not doing the calling ) and I was center opposite and had no idea why it was called until halftime.

Sounds to me like you're working lower level games, cause we simply don't have varsity coaches that act this badly where I live. If these are varsity level coaches, then there are a lot of officials not TCB, it appears. If these are lower level games, it could be the other officials are intimidated by the coaches and avoid TCB. You don't do that, so that's a good thing.

For 3 years I think I led the area in baseball ejections and coach technicals after moving to the area. Now I have the reputation as a good official (I think, although one can never be too sure) who won't take any crap. That's where you want to be. You want the coaches to see you, recognize you as a competent official, know that you're approachable and will talk to them, but also recognize that if they act up, they're going to get whacked. I haven't whacked a head coach in 3 seasons now. My line hasn't changed a bit, but many schools I go to now, the coaches recognize me and know what they're going to get.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 07:38am.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

5 in December.

2 January.

2 so far in February ( 3 games )

I'd rather not call a "T" but it seems to me, I am being put into positions where it is hard to avoid.

Allow me to explain.
I doubt you are thin-skinned, but you are doing something to cause those reactions from coaches and players. I rarely see players or coaches get T'd up for reacting to one obvious correct call that goes against them. Fair or not, perception is important.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
You're worried about 9 T's? I think I had 9 T's within the first 2 weeks!!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
I doubt you are thin-skinned, but you are doing something to cause those reactions from coaches and players.
Sorry, but that's a load of crap. Folks get T'ed for violating the 3 P's: personal, profane, or prolonged. No matter how bad my calls are, participants are not thereby justified in violating the 3 P's.