The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If it's working for you and the game is kept under control, no need to change. It doesn't matter how you get there....just that you do get there.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

RE: Control. I've had 2-3 games this year that started getting really chippy in the 2nd quarter, so during halftime I suggested to my partner that we stay on top of it. Before the 3rd started I went to each coach and told them we didn't want an injury or a confrontation so we were going to tighten it up to keep the game under control. They understood, thanked me for letting them know, and then relayed the info to their players. We then backed it up with our whistles and each of the games, though very close, were uneventful. I have no idea if that's one of those "book" things, but that type of communication has worked for me so far.

Quote:
Having said that, you will be in a situation somewhere down the road where you will have to nail somebody. That's true for all of us. Don't ever think that it's some kind of failure on your part when you do have to "T" somebody up. You're simply reacting to what you run into. It's just another call. Jmo.....
Thank you; I understand that now a lot better than I did just 3 months ago.

Back in December I had a coach and asst coach constantly chirping and questioning each call. I ignored it then, but if it happened today I'd give them their warning. I did that last week to the coach of a FR girls team who was complaining loudly because they were losing and were on the short end of a 10-3 foul count. During an OB I walked over and told the coach the reason it was 10-3 was because his team was chasing and playing D with their hands instead of their feet. He agreed, but kept complaining. I then told him he'd had his say and needed to quiet down and coach his team. Not only did he not give us any more grief, but his team started playing hard and won the game.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I thought those were George Carlin's seven words. . .
Yep. Where do you think George got them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
There are some people that aren't into all the words. There are some people who would have you not use certain words. Yeah, there are 400,000 words in the English language, and there are seven of them that you can't say on television.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Agree. Taking His name in vain should not be tolerated under any circumstances.
Oh, I thought you meant the other Woody.

Mention his name & he'll expect you to take him for a walk.

Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
1) Oh, I thought you meant the other Woody.

2) Mention his name & he'll expect you to take him for a walk.
1)Naw, I was talking about a different dumb animal.

2) I do tricks for a brownpop too.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I don't know about sacred. I think wood peckers are just scary.
Particularly if they are "balsa" wood.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Experience, Experience, Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
My daughter, 2nd year, and younger official asked me why I don't get any "crap" from coaches the way she does.
Experience has a a lot to do with it. When I started officiating twenty-seven years ago, my hair was entirely brown, I didn't know any of the coaches, they didn't know me, and I called a lot of technical fouls.

Today, my hair has as much gray as brown, I've been to at least ten schools in our area over twenty times, I know most of the coaches, and they know me.

I've only had to call two technical fouls this year, both on players. One, flagrant, against a player who slapped another player during the aftermath of a held ball, and the second against a player who threw a ball at an opponent.

I haven't even come close to giving a technical foul to a coach this year, not even a stop sign, and I work about three high school varsity games a week, as well as a few Catholic middle school games every weekend.