Thread: Too Many "T's"?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 07:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
You T'd a coach over 10 lousy seconds? I'm sure your discussion "do not - do too" was longer.

"Coach, I am confident you're cheating your team much more than I by doing such a lousy job of coaching."
If handled right, there is no "do not, do too." Coach says he has thirty seconds, I say, "Rule change. Give me a sub." Walk away. Sub not there by second horn, WHACK HIM. He's doing it to defy you.

I remember a game from 2002. Coach insisted he had ONE MINUTE to bring in a sub. "Nope, high school rule is 30 seconds." Walked away. No sub by second horn, I would've whacked him. Didn't have to as I got a sub right away.

As for too many technicals, I can't answer that. I've had 2 this season, both on players. I've been on the court when a varsity head coach got one (it's rare when a coach gets one and I'm not doing the calling ) and I was center opposite and had no idea why it was called until halftime.

Sounds to me like you're working lower level games, cause we simply don't have varsity coaches that act this badly where I live. If these are varsity level coaches, then there are a lot of officials not TCB, it appears. If these are lower level games, it could be the other officials are intimidated by the coaches and avoid TCB. You don't do that, so that's a good thing.

For 3 years I think I led the area in baseball ejections and coach technicals after moving to the area. Now I have the reputation as a good official (I think, although one can never be too sure) who won't take any crap. That's where you want to be. You want the coaches to see you, recognize you as a competent official, know that you're approachable and will talk to them, but also recognize that if they act up, they're going to get whacked. I haven't whacked a head coach in 3 seasons now. My line hasn't changed a bit, but many schools I go to now, the coaches recognize me and know what they're going to get.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 07:38am.