The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Throwing the ball off of a player - T?

What would have to happen on a play where a player going out of bounds with the ball throws it off of the other team in order to retain possession that would result in a technical being called on the thrower?

I can't find anything in the rulebook that gives me an answer.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I could think of is if the official ruled the player intentionally threw it off of the other player's face - and it would have to be very clear that he wasn't just trying to save it off of any part of his body and intentionally wanted to hurt the opposing player.

I can't think of anything else...
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a story.

I'm a Golden State Warrior fan, and have been for about the last six years.

A couple of years ago with Eric Musselman as the coach, the W's invited a scrub to camp by the name of Brian Cardinal. Known as "The Custodian" back in Indiana (actually "Citizen Pain" was his High School moniker) he earned a spot on Musselman's roster with an exceptional pre-season.

An absolute fan favorite, Brian was a consistent source of energy off of the bench, drawing charges, fighting for offensive rebounds, and most importantly hitting the open 3. One fan created a fan site called www.thecustodian.net.

That fan would be me. Loved the way he played and put up a site to spread the word about BC. Anyways, I learned a lot about his days at Purdue. I had never heard of him prior to his arrival with the W's.

Turns out his dad was the trainer at Illinois when Kendall Gill was a star there. Brian was the ballboy for the team during Gill's time at Illinois.

Anyways.... Gill is playing for the Bulls. Warriors are playing at the Chicago pretty late in the season in BC's only year with the W's. Presss knows nothing of the history between these two. I thought is was a totally cool backstory to the game.

Out of nowhere scrub, succeeding in the NBA, goes up against boyhood hero in NBA game. BC played great in the game, W's won, but get this...

Late in the game, at a a critical juncture, BC jumps out-of-bounds and throws the ball of Gill's face (or head or neck area). Warriors ball, they go on to win.

Sweeeeet!
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
What would have to happen on a play where a player going out of bounds with the ball throws it off of the other team in order to retain possession that would result in a technical being called on the thrower?

It's possible that that ref didn't understand the rules as they apply to this situation.

Or it may be that the ref thought the player was taunting.

Did the oob player not obtain inbounds status before touching the ball? And then mouth off at the ref to draw the T?

Lots of possible scenariae.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Gill is playing for the Bulls. Warriors are playing at the Chicago pretty late in the season in BC's only year with the W's.
If this BC is such a successful player, why did he only have one season?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

He was an unrestricted free agent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
If this BC is such a successful player, why did he only have one season?
One season with the W's. ... signed with Memphis (Jerry West decision) for $6 Mil/ Year for 6 years. $36 million.

Knee injury at the start of the season with Fratello as coach... has never produced for Mem. oh well, dude got paid!

Last edited by ca_rumperee; Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 12:20am.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I've been thinking about this very situation lately. I recently officiated an 8th grade boys game in which A1 saved a ball from going OOB by throwing it against B1 which caused the ball to go OOB off of B1. In this case the ball hit B1 square in the nads.

The rules prohibit pushing, hitting, holding, etc, etc, .. yet intentionally striking an opponent with the ball (even though it's not malicious) is permissible. There is much more potential for injury when throwing a ball against another player than there is for say .... bobby pins in the hair. It just seems odd that this is allowed.

Just thinking out loud.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Saving the ball by throwing it off another player is an accepted basketball play. As jdw said, unless you felt that the saver deliberately threw the ball at the opponent's head or cojones, leave it alone.

It has to be a deliberate unsporting act to be called. If you do call it, be absolutely sure.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Lots of possible scenariae.
Ew.

'Scenario' is an English word and gets an English plural ending: 'scenarios'.

If you want to be cute about it, you should use the proper Italian plural ending, and you'd have 'scenari'.

Reminds me of an old Safire smackdown over the plural of octopus. 'Octopi' puts a Latin plural ending on a Greek root, which is wrong. The correct Greek-based plural would be 'octopodes', which might be correct but is pedantic as hell. So stick with an English plural ending: 'octopuses'.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81

See 10.3.7B (2006-07 reference).
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
So stick with an English plural ending: 'octopuses'.
Hey! If it's wrong to say that word one time, it's surely wrong to say it eight times.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hey! If it's wrong to say that word one time, it's surely wrong to say it eight times.
btw... would a male one of these things be called an octoprick?

Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
btw... would a male one of these things be called an octoprick?

Is his name Dan?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Is his name Dan?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Ew.

'Scenario' is an English word and gets an English plural ending: 'scenarios'.

If you want to be cute about it, you should use the proper Italian plural ending, and you'd have 'scenari'.

Reminds me of an old Safire smackdown over the plural of octopus. 'Octopi' puts a Latin plural ending on a Greek root, which is wrong. The correct Greek-based plural would be 'octopodes', which might be correct but is pedantic as hell. So stick with an English plural ending: 'octopuses'.
Thank you, mb. I will always defer to someone who quotes Safire. My dear sainted grandmother will now stop rolling over in her grave.