The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 has control of the ball after a steal. A1 has not dribble the ball yet. A1 throws the ball out ahead of himself and gets to the ball first and dribbles in for a layup. Is there a violation at all. Does the throw start his dribble.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

the throw would start the dribble -
but the player must not put two hands on the ball and then continue the dribble.

[Edited by Rick82358 on Mar 10th, 2006 at 03:01 PM]

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358
but the player must continue the dribble if the player were to put two hands on th ball it would be a travel.
Say what?

How do you get a travel out of this? It's just the end of the dribble when he puts 2 hands on the ball. What he does after that determines whether a violation is committed or not.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

re read edited
version I wrote it out wrong.

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358
but the player must continue the dribble if the player were to put two hands on th ball it would be a travel.
Say what?

How do you get a travel out of this? It's just the end of the dribble when he puts 2 hands on the ball. What he does after that determines whether a violation is committed or not.
An example or two:
holds the ball, standing still. throws the ball, it bounces once, player continues the dribble with one hand.
Legal

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, then moves feet, and touches ball before it bounces.
Illegal.

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, it bounces, player touches with two hands.
Legal, but dribble is ended.

Thinking of a play from another thread, I've got a question. Player holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Illegal, right?
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, it bounces, player touches with two hands.

Thinking of a play from another thread, I've got a question. Player holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Illegal, right?

Rainmaker,
Just to clarify, although I assume you meant this, if the player touches the ball with two hands after it bounces AND THE BALL GOES TO THE FLOOR AGAIN (as in another dribble), I have an illegal dribble, right?

In your last scenario...player standing still, throws ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Is this player catching the ball before it hits the floor? If yes, then I say it's a travel. If the ball hits the floor first, It's a dribble - started and stopped with one bounce - as long as the dribble wasn't already used up, I have this as legal.

Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
An example or two:
holds the ball, standing still. throws the ball, it bounces once, player continues the dribble with one hand.
Legal
Correct.

Quote:
holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, then moves feet, and touches ball before it bounces.
Illegal.
Correct--illegal dribble, since the ball didn't bounce per casebook play 4.15.4 Sit D part (a).

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
Correct. Same as your second play. Unless the ball bounces, the pivot foot cannot move.
Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
In your last scenario...player standing still, throws ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Is this player catching the ball before it hits the floor? If yes, then I say it's a travel. If the ball hits the floor first, It's a dribble - started and stopped with one bounce - as long as the dribble wasn't already used up, I have this as legal.
Everything here is good, except that the proper violation is illegal dribble.

Just remember that a player MUST be HOLDING the ball in order to travel.
(There is only one exception. The player gains control while lying on the floor. The player sets the ball down on the floor next to him and then stands up. Why? The ruling in 4.44.5 Sit B says so. I guess this is considered an attempt to circumvent the rule.)