The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Actually it was to avoid backcourt, player had control of the ball but was leaning and about to go backcourt, The defender was right on him holding is arms out. The offensive player then jumps and turns, while in the air throws the ball very hard at the defender and nails him in the face. The ball was thrown with so much force that it landed in the stands. The kids nose was bleeding and later determined to be broke. The only call was out of bounds and they maintained control of the ball. Too me, it was border line being a smart play, and an unsportsmanlike play because of the force of the throw and why he didn't just throw back into the frontcourt. What say you?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

something

i would have to see to determine what is really was -- sometimes this stuff happens and its unfortunate.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Without seeing the play live, I have to agree with the call.

Sure, the player in controll of the ball threw it with force...so the defender would have trouble handling the ball and he would have a chance to recover it in the back court. Also need to remember the defender was moving in the opposite direction of the ball...which would cause the ball to rebound further than it would if he had been standing still (and we don't know how far the stands were from the play).

I does not take much force to break a nose...and they bleed easily. Some people's noses bleed easier than others.

Lastly, it is not unsportsmanlike for a player to do something other than what you think he/she should do.

Just my two pennies.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

What happened prior?

Had the defense been aggressive all game?

How much control of the ball and his body did the thrower have?

Was it an attempt to throw it off the defender or past the defender?

If the players have been going at it, the defender was aggressive and the offensive player was showing signs of frustration, and they clearly jumped and threw the ball under control, I have a difficult time seeing it as an accident.

In most cases where a player attempts to throw it off an opponent they aim low, because there is less chance of the defender getting their hands on the ball.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Actually these 2 players were being pretty aggresive with each other as far as defense goes. The defender had stolen the ball from the offensive player a couple of times and there was probably a "little" frustration.... I wonder why in the face? Why not a lower throw, or even an attempt to throw into the front court. I guess it's just a judgement call on the officials, and they made no call so.... I guess it could be worst, he could have thrown in low but not low enough.... right below the mid section, but above the knees.... makes me hurt just thinking about it. Thanks for the replies. Thought maybe there was a rule that would cover something like this. Thanks again
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

A similiar play happened in an NCAA Division II game last week, except the ball didn't go out of bounds, it went in to the defenders front court and as his team mate is going in for a layup, the orginal player hits the offensive player who threw it off his face. The stands, benches, the football team all came out on the floor. He got ugly. (I wasn't there but talked to one of the guys who worked it)

When they threw it toward the head, in my book, that's an automatic Flagrant foul, & he's done. If this would have been called, no fight, no ugly situation.

Throw it off the legs, etc. good play and play on. We all know that if a player is out of control they sometimes don't know where they are throwing. If we see the whole play, we should understand this.

My 2 cents worth.