View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a story.

I'm a Golden State Warrior fan, and have been for about the last six years.

A couple of years ago with Eric Musselman as the coach, the W's invited a scrub to camp by the name of Brian Cardinal. Known as "The Custodian" back in Indiana (actually "Citizen Pain" was his High School moniker) he earned a spot on Musselman's roster with an exceptional pre-season.

An absolute fan favorite, Brian was a consistent source of energy off of the bench, drawing charges, fighting for offensive rebounds, and most importantly hitting the open 3. One fan created a fan site called www.thecustodian.net.

That fan would be me. Loved the way he played and put up a site to spread the word about BC. Anyways, I learned a lot about his days at Purdue. I had never heard of him prior to his arrival with the W's.

Turns out his dad was the trainer at Illinois when Kendall Gill was a star there. Brian was the ballboy for the team during Gill's time at Illinois.

Anyways.... Gill is playing for the Bulls. Warriors are playing at the Chicago pretty late in the season in BC's only year with the W's. Presss knows nothing of the history between these two. I thought is was a totally cool backstory to the game.

Out of nowhere scrub, succeeding in the NBA, goes up against boyhood hero in NBA game. BC played great in the game, W's won, but get this...

Late in the game, at a a critical juncture, BC jumps out-of-bounds and throws the ball of Gill's face (or head or neck area). Warriors ball, they go on to win.

Sweeeeet!