The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I also have a no call in my game. While there was a bump, the girl did not try to fight through it. While the screener did get her feet down and was not moving when the contact occurred, the way she hopped into that position at the last moment would lead me to call an illegal screen, if I called anything.

Just my opinion.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

no call here

i thought the rule regarding 1 step was for blind screens away from the ball. i didnt think time or distance was necessary for on ball screens? i probably am wrong.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

This is an Illegal screen all the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
i thought the rule regarding 1 step was for blind screens away from the ball. i didnt think time or distance was necessary for on ball screens?
This is the definition of a blind screen - the screener came from outside the periferal vision of the moving defender and jumped into place while the defender was moving toward her. the contact looks to occur as the defender is putting her foot back on the floor from her step, and the screener takes a dive. see the referenced rule below. there is more than just the one step guidline in the rule.

fouls and penalties
Section 6 Contact Art 3
a player who screens shall not -
c. take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot aviod contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine the posisition ... etc.

Last edited by OHBBREF; Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 01:02pm.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
no call here

i thought the rule regarding 1 step was for blind screens away from the ball. i didnt think time or distance was necessary for on ball screens? i probably am wrong.
You are incorrect. time and distance are always required unless the player being screened has the ball. And I doubt that is the case....that would be guarding, not screening.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
One step. I don't think when gold set her screen, she allowed blue for her normal step. When gold was set, blue was in the process of her step.
That's the right rule reference, but now I'm confused. In your previous post, you said "she only had one step". Now, you say she wasn't allowed her step. Whichever it is will determine the "right" ruling -- and mabe the calling official missed it -- s/he didn't have the advantage of the replay.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Seems pretty clear to me that the screener did not give the defender a step to avoid the contact. We're going "that way".
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's the right rule reference, but now I'm confused. In your previous post, you said "she only had one step". Now, you say she wasn't allowed her step. Whichever it is will determine the "right" ruling -- and mabe the calling official missed it -- s/he didn't have the advantage of the replay.
Quote:
I argued it was a blind screen from behind and she only had one step.
Yup.
Bob, that's what I typed.....boy did that come out wrong at 7 am.

Blue was using her "one step" as the screen was set. And yes, slo mo has it's advantages, maybe I can upload it at full speed when I get home tonight and let you guys look at game speed.

But also what I am hearing (in the responses) is "no call" or "illegal screen". At what point (what has to happen) for the "no call" to change to "illegal screen"?

For all the "illegal screen" responses, if #40 blue goes thru gold in this clip, is it still an illegal screen?
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
You all must not be watching the same video....

The defender has a step and a half (slide steps, so she wasn't going that fast) prior to contact, screener is set, defender had ample time to stop or adjust. The ball handler set the defender up properly, the screener was set prior to contact, and contact wasn't initiated by the screener. It was close enough that I would have no called the play, but the screener was fine, IMO.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
I agree. You're watching a different video.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is for sure because that clearly isn't what happened .

I think if you expand the screen you will see that the screeners feet land on the ground from her jump while the defender is moving. therefore the derfender did not have the opportunity to avoid contact per the rule cite above which clearly makes this an illegal screen.

Run at full speed it looks even more blatant because you can't tell if the sccreener is even on the floor.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The defender has a step and a half (slide steps, so she wasn't going that fast) prior to contact, screener is set, defender had ample time to stop or adjust. The ball handler set the defender up properly, the screener was set prior to contact, and contact wasn't initiated by the screener. It was close enough that I would have no called the play, but the screener was fine, IMO.
You're absolutely 100% correct....... We must be watching 2 different videos. I stand on my previous comment to the OP and agree with the above post by (OHBREF???)..
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure if this video link thingy will work. If it does, I need your input. This is where I get confused on blind screens. (#40 is my player...)
Illegal screen or foul on my player?

screened.wmv

If the link don't work...oh well, I'll try something else.
The link worked just fine.........Good Screen
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonahj
The link worked just fine.........Good Screen
the link did your mind isn't
look up the rule on contact redarding screens again read it all the way through then come back and look at the video
the screener doesn' give the defender a chance to avoid contact when setting the screen Time and distance are not specified in art 3 section c they are based on the speed of the play period.
and there is no way that this defender could have avoided contact on this screen.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
look up the rule on contact redarding screens again read it all the way through then come back and look at the video
the screener doesn' give the defender a chance to avoid contact when setting the screen Time and distance are not specified in art 3 section c they are based on the speed of the play period.
I think that you need to look up the rule. You don't seem to understand it. The call is not based on the speed of the play only. It doesn't matter what speed the player being screened is moving at if the screener gives that player 2 normal steps. That IS a legal screen.

NFHS rule 10-6-3(c)-- "The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent."

Also see NFHS case book play 10.6.3SitD. That's time and distance.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Our Turn

CoachP, why don't you coach your girls properly. Whoever is guarding 14 gold should be out there to pick-up 30 after the screen.
22 gold looks wide open on the block, who is not coaching post play defense? Not to mention 20 gold looks wide open trailing the play.