The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screen question with video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33545-screen-question-video.html)

CoachP Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47pm

Screen question with video

Not sure if this video link thingy will work. If it does, I need your input. This is where I get confused on blind screens. (#40 is my player...)
Illegal screen or foul on my player?

<a href="http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=925&CID=88531">screened.wmv</a>

If the link don't work...oh well, I'll try something else.

tjones1 Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50pm

Link didn't work for me. Try re-posting the link.

RookieDude Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:07pm

I don't officiate girls games(so my opinion might not be consistent with what is or is not called) even though the rules are the same...but, in a boys NFHS game I got a "no call".

Now the depth may be different in "real life"...but, from what I can see on the video...probably a good no call.

reffish Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:18pm

First look at the play, I like illegal screen. The screener did not give the player enought time and distance to adjust to screen set out of sight. On more looks, I stick with my call. First look and angle of play, illegal screen.

Teigan Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45pm

I think its an illegal screen.

TRef21 Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:04am

I have illegal screen. The Screener did not allow a normal step will setting the back screen.

tjones1 Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06am

How did you get the link to work?

CoachP Tue Apr 10, 2007 06:07am

Thanks for the input so far. The official said she had plenty of time to avoid the screen and called a foul on blue.

I argued it was a blind screen from behind and she only had one step.

But, we now have the advantage of slo-mo.....

I didn't do anything tjones, somehow it's just not working for you?

bob jenkins Tue Apr 10, 2007 06:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP
Thanks for the input so far. The official said she had plenty of time to avoid the screen and called a foul on blue.

How many steps does she need?

CoachP Tue Apr 10, 2007 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
How many steps does she need?

One step. I don't think when gold set her screen, she allowed blue for her normal step. When gold was set, blue was in the process of her step.

rockyroad Tue Apr 10, 2007 09:31am

Certainly not a foul on blue...I would probably go with a no-call and at some point in the near future talk to that gold player about setting better screens...but no way is that a foul on blue.

SamIAm Tue Apr 10, 2007 09:35am

First off, if you want this officiated closely, you will have to give up a foul call here and there as the official will be looking at the floor instead of the play.

I have no whistle on this play in regular time.

Oops! (I deleted a line here concerning the coach's understanding of a blind screen. After reading the coaches later response it made this line moot.)

JoeTheRef Tue Apr 10, 2007 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP

But, we now have the advantage of slo-mo.....

I didn't do anything tjones, somehow it's just not working for you?

I don't even think she had a step. Either way, I wouldn't make the call on blue, and if I made a call we would be going the other way.

tmp44 Tue Apr 10, 2007 09:44am

No call or illegal screen....

...definitely not a foul on blue.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:20am

Looks like gold screener #14 shifted laterally but allowed a step, albeit a small one. As gold #30 started to drive, blue #40 closed the gap quickly at the point of impact. I go with a no call in real time, which was my gut after watching it the first time.