The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 03, 2000, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I was playing lunch hr. bb. I set screen at top of circle.(pick & roll). I take off straight to the basket. Next i see my teammate dribbling beside me and pass me to the loop. The defender is trailing the dribbler and can't get beside or in front of the dribbler because of me. Keep in mind the def. is not trying to go around me, but through me(up my back). Plus, the def. did get picked off and is trailing. What do you think?
Old Wed May 03, 2000, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Blocking on you.
Old Wed May 03, 2000, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

That's not necessarily true...watch the Jazz. They pull-off the legal pick & roll all game. As long as Malone (for example) is stationary at the original pick, he has every right to roll to the hoop. If he's their first, tough luck on the defense...way too tough to call an illegal screen!!!
Old Thu May 04, 2000, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman:
Blocking on you.

I disagree. As I read the original play, it is the perfect example of 4-39-2c "The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and direction."

Old Thu May 04, 2000, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with BBALL21 and Bob. As long as you were in your path first and are moving in a straight line, it's legal. If YOU get run over by the defense trying to stop the shooter, it could be a foul on him (though probably a no-call, so as not to prevent an easy bucket by your teammate).
Old Thu May 04, 2000, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I myself didn't think it was a moving screen. The opponent said something so we did a do-over.
Old Thu May 04, 2000, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree that this is legal. It is a perfect example of a legal moving screen. You don't even have to be stationary at any point. If two player are moving in the same path and direction, the player who is following is responsible for the contact.
Old Thu May 04, 2000, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds legal to me. The defender was too slow and did not go around you in the first place.

Where did the other defender do?
Old Fri May 05, 2000, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

He must have been on the other side of me, because i don't remember him being a part of the play.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to hear more on this rule. It came up this winter. I read the IABBO Rules real carefully. I don't think that the "screener" who is rolling to the hoop "parallel" to the "dribbler" is in the same "path" as the dribbler? That's the key word. As I read the Rules, it actually isn't a violation until the defender makes contact with the screener and then it's a personal foul on the screener. Am I right or incorrect? Good one. Like to hear from somebody who knows.
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
I was playing lunch hr. bb. I set screen at top of circle.(pick & roll). I take off straight to the basket. Next i see my teammate dribbling beside me and pass me to the loop. The defender is trailing the dribbler and can't get beside or in front of the dribbler because of me. Keep in mind the def. is not trying to go around me, but through me(up my back). Plus, the def. did get picked off and is trailing. What do you think?

Old Mon May 22, 2000, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John Crow:
I'd like to hear more on this rule. It came up this winter. I read the IABBO Rules real carefully. I don't think that the "screener" who is rolling to the hoop "parallel" to the "dribbler" is in the same "path" as the dribbler? That's the key word. As I read the Rules, it actually isn't a violation until the defender makes contact with the screener and then it's a personal foul on the screener. Am I right or incorrect? Good one. Like to hear from somebody who knows.

The screener has to be in the same path and direction as the "DEFENDER" not the dribbler. And, as you said, it is nothing without contact.

As to who the foul is on, it is on the player who is following if they are in the same path and direction. This could be the defender or the screener. If the motion by the screener is not directly away from the defender, it will be a blocking foul.

Just remember, no player can EVER be called for a block when they are moving away from another player if they initially have a legal position.

[This message has been edited by Camron Rust (edited May 23, 2000).]
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't this situation similar to a fast break? 2 players on the same team have clear paths to the hoop. The trailing defender does not have the right to make the other player slow down and move over for him to get to the ball.

Clearly, the call that was made was bad, no penalty